Mar 31, 2014, 6:43 PM EST
Once again, Rob Laurie gets the call.
The Anaheim-based netminder, who’s already filled in as an emergency goalie for the Ducks and Canucks, will suit up for the Wild tonight in place of the injured Darcy Kuemper, according to the Minnesota Star-Tribune.
Kuemper, who wasn’t scheduled to start tonight — Ilya Bryzgalov‘s in goal — was hurt during the morning skate and later ruled out of action. That forced the Wild to sign the 43-year-old Laurie, a longtime ECHL netminder that played one game in the American League for Adirondack during the 1995-96 campaign.
Unbelievably, Kuemper is the third Wild goalie to fall to injury this season. Niklas Backstrom was lost for the season after undergoing surgery on a “core muscle injury,” and Josh Harding has been sidelined after undergoing a midseason change in his multiple sclerosis treatment protocol.
In a related story, this isn’t the first time the Wild have been forced to sign an, ahem, experienced emergency netminder. Minnesota previously signed 51-year-old Paul Deutsch to an Amateur Tryout Contract during the 2011-12 campaign to serve in a similar capacity.
- Luongo leaves game, Panthers in bind with Montoya also hurt 1
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 22
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)