Mar 30, 2014, 9:30 PM EST
The Chicago Blackhawks are holding their breath on Sunday night as captain Jonathan Toews suffered what looked like a shoulder injury following a hard hit by Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik on Sunday.
The Blackhawks updated that Toews won’t return, labeling it an upper-body injury.
Orpik was not penalized for that check.
It sounds like Toews, 25, may be favoring his left arm based on accounts at the game.
Here is video of the hit, along with analysis from Keith Jones and Mike Milbury (the latter of whom doesn’t feel good about Orpik’s actions).
With Patrick Kane currently sidelined (and potentially rusty heading into the playoffs) and Marian Hossa also dealing with injuries on and off this season, it’s reasonable to wonder how healthy Chicago may be heading into the 2014 postseason. We’ll see if this ends up being better than it looks, though.
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 0
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 21
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 36
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 7
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 77
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (77)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)