Mar 30, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks are holding their breath on Sunday night as captain Jonathan Toews suffered what looked like a shoulder injury following a hard hit by Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik on Sunday.
The Blackhawks updated that Toews won’t return, labeling it an upper-body injury.
Orpik was not penalized for that check.
It sounds like Toews, 25, may be favoring his left arm based on accounts at the game.
Here is video of the hit, along with analysis from Keith Jones and Mike Milbury (the latter of whom doesn’t feel good about Orpik’s actions).
With Patrick Kane currently sidelined (and potentially rusty heading into the playoffs) and Marian Hossa also dealing with injuries on and off this season, it’s reasonable to wonder how healthy Chicago may be heading into the 2014 postseason. We’ll see if this ends up being better than it looks, though.
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 17
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 17
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 77
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (79)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)