Mar 30, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks are holding their breath on Sunday night as captain Jonathan Toews suffered what looked like a shoulder injury following a hard hit by Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik on Sunday.
The Blackhawks updated that Toews won’t return, labeling it an upper-body injury.
Orpik was not penalized for that check.
It sounds like Toews, 25, may be favoring his left arm based on accounts at the game.
Here is video of the hit, along with analysis from Keith Jones and Mike Milbury (the latter of whom doesn’t feel good about Orpik’s actions).
With Patrick Kane currently sidelined (and potentially rusty heading into the playoffs) and Marian Hossa also dealing with injuries on and off this season, it’s reasonable to wonder how healthy Chicago may be heading into the 2014 postseason. We’ll see if this ends up being better than it looks, though.
- Report: John Hynes to be named head coach of the Devils 15
- Ex-Leafs goalie Pogge eyeing North American return 5
- Poll: Should the Ducks fire Boudreau? 66
- Zuccarello (brain contusion, skull fracture) was unable to speak after injury 28
- Overtime format highlights competition committee meeting agenda 16
- Report: Changes coming to compensation for executives 23
- Here’s your 2015 Stanley Cup Final schedule 33
- ‘Hawks rise to occasion in Game 7, head to SCF for third time in six years 95
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Western Conference Final Game 7 5
- After prepping for three years, Franson excited to test free agency 9
- ‘Hawks rise to occasion in Game 7, head to SCF for third time in six years (95)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (76)
- Poll: Should the Ducks fire Boudreau? (66)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (65)
- Despite getting further than ever before, big game letdowns continue to haunt Boudreau (64)