Mar 30, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks are holding their breath on Sunday night as captain Jonathan Toews suffered what looked like a shoulder injury following a hard hit by Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik on Sunday.
The Blackhawks updated that Toews won’t return, labeling it an upper-body injury.
Orpik was not penalized for that check.
It sounds like Toews, 25, may be favoring his left arm based on accounts at the game.
Here is video of the hit, along with analysis from Keith Jones and Mike Milbury (the latter of whom doesn’t feel good about Orpik’s actions).
With Patrick Kane currently sidelined (and potentially rusty heading into the playoffs) and Marian Hossa also dealing with injuries on and off this season, it’s reasonable to wonder how healthy Chicago may be heading into the 2014 postseason. We’ll see if this ends up being better than it looks, though.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 9
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 11
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 68
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 7
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 49
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (85)