Mar 30, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks are holding their breath on Sunday night as captain Jonathan Toews suffered what looked like a shoulder injury following a hard hit by Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik on Sunday.
The Blackhawks updated that Toews won’t return, labeling it an upper-body injury.
Orpik was not penalized for that check.
It sounds like Toews, 25, may be favoring his left arm based on accounts at the game.
Here is video of the hit, along with analysis from Keith Jones and Mike Milbury (the latter of whom doesn’t feel good about Orpik’s actions).
With Patrick Kane currently sidelined (and potentially rusty heading into the playoffs) and Marian Hossa also dealing with injuries on and off this season, it’s reasonable to wonder how healthy Chicago may be heading into the 2014 postseason. We’ll see if this ends up being better than it looks, though.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 10
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 107
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 77
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (107)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)