Mar 30, 2014, 4:15 PM EST
With the season winding down, Masterton Trophy nominations will start pouring out from each NHL team.
Rangers forward Dominic Moore was nominated for the award by the PHWA members in New York City and he fits the qualifications well. The Masterton Trophy goes to “the player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to hockey.”
Moore’s case is an emotional one.
He returned to the NHL this season with the Rangers after spending last season out of the game. Moore was away from hockey to be with his wife Katie who later succumbed to a rare form of liver cancer at the age of 32. He said taking time away from hockey was “the right thing to do.”
He’s done a lot of charity work starting the “SmashFest!” ping-pong tournament each summer in Toronto to raise money for various charities including the Katie Moore Foundation which helps fund research for rare forms of cancer.
Moore will be up against 29 other nominees from around the league and ultimately three finalists will be voted on. The Masterton isn’t so much a competition as it is a celebration of the spirit of the players and the great things they’re capable of doing.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)