Mar 30, 2014, 3:27 PM EDT
The Boston Bruins fought off a late-charging Philadelphia Flyers team to win 4-3 in the shootout.
Tuukka Rask stopped four out of five shooters in the shootout and made 49 saves to pace the Bruins. Reilly Smith ended the shootout in the fifth round with his goal against Steve Mason to give the Bruins their 15th win in the past 16 games and their ninth consecutive win on the road.
The Bruins got goals from former Flyer Andrej Meszaros, Zdeno Chara, and Patrice Bergeron. The Flyers got two goals from Vincent Lecavalier, including his game-tying goal with 24 seconds left in the third period. Kimmo Timonen added a goal and Mason stopped 27 shots.
Here are some talking points to take with you into the comments…
— Zdeno Chara scored his 10th power play goal of the season in the second period and did so by being parked around the net. If you’re a goalie, you’ll wake up in cold sweats thinking about that playing out over and over again.
— Yes, it was a big day for Lecavalier. Not bad for a guy playing on the fourth line, right? Check out his 400th career goal from the first period.
— The Flyers put up 52 shots on goal against the Bruins. The Bruins piled up 30 of their own. Whoever said offense is dead was merely dead wrong.
If you missed any of the action, here are the highlights from this afternoon’s thriller:
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 17
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)