Mar 30, 2014, 10:26 PM EST
In that span, they’ve been out-scored 12-4. They’ve also lost four of five contests and have generally looked wobbly since Patrick Kane was injured on March 19 (going 2-4-0 since then).
No doubt about it, though; the biggest loss would be their 25-year-old captain if that left arm (or possible shoulder) issue either keeps him out of action or hampers him greatly as the team attempts to defend its championship in the playoffs.
Update: The early word is that it isn’t a significant problem, but we’ll see.
Here’s one more look at Brooks Orpik‘s hit on Toews:
It’s looking exceedingly likely that the Blackhawks will face the Colorado Avalanche in a first-round series, and at the moment, it looks like the Avs might gain home-ice advantage. Colorado holds one more standings point (100 to 99) and has eight games remaining to Chicago’s six.
While the Blackhawks’ star captain left with an injury, the Penguins’ answer to Toews seemed as strong as ever. Sidney Crosby scored the last two goals of the game to ice it for Pittsburgh, giving him 36 goals on the season. He’s now at 99 points in 75 games played; as of this writing, Ryan Getzlaf is the only other player who has even exceeded 80 points on the season (81).
The Penguins are really just playing to get tuned up at this point, so this could be a confidence booster (while the ‘Hawks might just leave this one with slumped shoulders).
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)