Mar 29, 2014, 2:27 PM EDT
Ville Leino was only on the ice for one shift on Thursday before being shut down with lightheaded symptoms. He’s still not feeling well and was sent to be evaluated by doctors today.
The question now is if he has a concussion.
“He never got hit though,” interim coach Ted Nolan pointed out, per the Buffalo News. “He just felt it before the game. He had one shift. He went out felt a little woozy. He felt a little dizzy and it wasn’t, don’t quote me 100 percent but I don’t think he got hit. He was just out one shift and came back.
“When you’re talking about the head, it’s not like the elbow or knee or something, but your head so we have to be very, very cautious.”
Leino has played in 52 games this season and hasn’t scored a single goal. He comes with a $4.5 million cap hit through 2016-17, but the Sabres haven’t used either of their compliance buyouts.
The wrinkle is that a player can’t be bought out if he’s injured and this is the last summer that teams can take advantage of the compliance buyouts given to them as part of the new CBA. Those buyouts are different from the ordinary variety because they completely remove a player’s cap hit from the team’s books.
Meanwhile, the Sabres will play against Tampa Bay tonight. Buffalo is on pace to finish the 2013-14 campaign with the worst record in the NHL.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)