Mar 29, 2014, 4:43 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals had an important game against a great club this afternoon. Rather than be motivated by that, the Capitals seemed to limp out of the gate en route to a 4-2 loss against the Boston Bruins.
“I’m shocked at the start,” Capitals coach Adam Oates told reporters after the game, per the Monumental Network.
Oates also described the team’s attention to detail as “lousy” in the first half of the contests. He added that it was “very frustrating” to see this late into the season, given everything that’s at stake. It got to the point where he considered calling a timeout to “lay into them,” but he ultimately held onto it.
Washington is in a four-way tie with Detroit, Toronto, and Columbus for the Eastern Conference Wild Card spots. However, the Capitals are in last when it comes to regulation plus overtime wins (the tiebreaker used at the end of the season) and have now played in one more game than the Red Wings and Blue Jackets.
Toronto and Detroit will play against each other tonight, so at least one of them will end up with more points than Washington.
To further complicate things, the Capitals have to play five of their final eight games on the road. They also have to get right back out there against the Nashville Predators tomorrow.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)