Mar 29, 2014, 4:43 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals had an important game against a great club this afternoon. Rather than be motivated by that, the Capitals seemed to limp out of the gate en route to a 4-2 loss against the Boston Bruins.
“I’m shocked at the start,” Capitals coach Adam Oates told reporters after the game, per the Monumental Network.
Oates also described the team’s attention to detail as “lousy” in the first half of the contests. He added that it was “very frustrating” to see this late into the season, given everything that’s at stake. It got to the point where he considered calling a timeout to “lay into them,” but he ultimately held onto it.
Washington is in a four-way tie with Detroit, Toronto, and Columbus for the Eastern Conference Wild Card spots. However, the Capitals are in last when it comes to regulation plus overtime wins (the tiebreaker used at the end of the season) and have now played in one more game than the Red Wings and Blue Jackets.
Toronto and Detroit will play against each other tonight, so at least one of them will end up with more points than Washington.
To further complicate things, the Capitals have to play five of their final eight games on the road. They also have to get right back out there against the Nashville Predators tomorrow.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)