Mar 29, 2014, 3:17 PM EDT
With their main competitors struggling, the Washington Capitals had an opportunity to gain some ground in the Wild Card race this afternoon. Instead, they watched as Boston cruised to a 4-2 victory.
Bruins forward Jarome Iginla scored his 29th and 30th markers of 2013-14 to lead the charge. With the playoffs mere weeks away, he’s one of the hottest players in the league with 13 goals in his last 15 contests.
Excluding the shortened season, Iginla has now reached the 30-goal mark in 12 straight campaigns. He has 560 career goals, which puts him in a tie with Guy Lafleur for 24th place on the all-time list.
For the Bruins, this win was about maintaining their momentum and chasing the St. Louis Blues in the race for the Presidents’ Trophy. Washington is in a far toughter position. The Capitals entered this game as one of four teams tied with 80 points in the battle for the two Wild Card spots in the Eastern Conference.
Two of the other teams in that tie, Detroit and Toronto, will play against each other tonight, so at least one of them will put some distance on the Capitals. As it is, Washington is last among the four squads in end of season tiebreaker (wins minus shootout victories), although for now the Capitals have an edge on the Maple Leafs by virtue of having played in one less contest.
Jarome Iginla now has 12 career 30-goal seasons. Guys who did NOT accomplish that: Lemieux, Messier, Bossy, Selanne, Yzerman, Fedorov.
— Mark Spector (@SportsnetSpec) March 29, 2014
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 11
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)