Mar 29, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
If Saturday proves anything, it’s that Calgary Flames exec/interim GM Brian Burke is still running with that “truculence” meme.
The Flames recalled Chad Billins and signed free agent Bryce Van Brabant to an entry-level contract today. Burke rolled out some of his favorite buzzwords to the Calgary Sun’s Wes Gilbertson regarding Van Brabant (pictured wearing No. 12 in this post’s main photo).
“He plays Brian Burke hockey,” Burke said of the 22-year-old forward. “A big, hard-nosed, heavy player. He plays heavy hockey.”
” … He’s got proper levels of truculence. We’re going to see what he can do.”
(One almost anticipates that Burke wanted to say, “And he can sure spell intense.”)
While Van Brabant is a rugged forward, Billins is an under-sized scoring defenseman, as the Canadian Press’ Stephen Whyno notes.
“It’s all about speed. Size doesn’t matter. It’s all about speed,” St. Louis said.
As the Denver Post’s Adrian Dater notes, Saturday went pretty well for Gaudreau and Boston College.
But the question is … will Gaudreau and Billins prove truculent enough?
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 12
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 5
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 51
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 5
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 3
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 48
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 17
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (54)