Mar 29, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
If Saturday proves anything, it’s that Calgary Flames exec/interim GM Brian Burke is still running with that “truculence” meme.
The Flames recalled Chad Billins and signed free agent Bryce Van Brabant to an entry-level contract today. Burke rolled out some of his favorite buzzwords to the Calgary Sun’s Wes Gilbertson regarding Van Brabant (pictured wearing No. 12 in this post’s main photo).
“He plays Brian Burke hockey,” Burke said of the 22-year-old forward. “A big, hard-nosed, heavy player. He plays heavy hockey.”
” … He’s got proper levels of truculence. We’re going to see what he can do.”
(One almost anticipates that Burke wanted to say, “And he can sure spell intense.”)
While Van Brabant is a rugged forward, Billins is an under-sized scoring defenseman, as the Canadian Press’ Stephen Whyno notes.
“It’s all about speed. Size doesn’t matter. It’s all about speed,” St. Louis said.
As the Denver Post’s Adrian Dater notes, Saturday went pretty well for Gaudreau and Boston College.
But the question is … will Gaudreau and Billins prove truculent enough?
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 61
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5