Mar 29, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
If Saturday proves anything, it’s that Calgary Flames exec/interim GM Brian Burke is still running with that “truculence” meme.
The Flames recalled Chad Billins and signed free agent Bryce Van Brabant to an entry-level contract today. Burke rolled out some of his favorite buzzwords to the Calgary Sun’s Wes Gilbertson regarding Van Brabant (pictured wearing No. 12 in this post’s main photo).
“He plays Brian Burke hockey,” Burke said of the 22-year-old forward. “A big, hard-nosed, heavy player. He plays heavy hockey.”
” … He’s got proper levels of truculence. We’re going to see what he can do.”
(One almost anticipates that Burke wanted to say, “And he can sure spell intense.”)
While Van Brabant is a rugged forward, Billins is an under-sized scoring defenseman, as the Canadian Press’ Stephen Whyno notes.
“It’s all about speed. Size doesn’t matter. It’s all about speed,” St. Louis said.
As the Denver Post’s Adrian Dater notes, Saturday went pretty well for Gaudreau and Boston College.
But the question is … will Gaudreau and Billins prove truculent enough?
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 15
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28