Mar 29, 2014, 10:50 PM EDT
This post about the Toronto Maple Leafs’ jarring eight-game losing streak gives a very brief update on the Eastern Conference, but for those who want more than just a dower view of how bad things are for the Buds, here’s a more diverse look at Saturday’s impact:
- The Atlantic Division is clearly the superior of the two over the long haul. While the Boston Bruins are obviously the top dog (they clinched the No. 1 spot), the other top teams in the Atlantic remain more-than-competent. The Tampa Bay Lightning rode Steven Stamkos‘ two goals (waits for “he actually scored three” jokes) to an overtime win while the Montreal Canadiens won their fifth in a row to stay two points ahead of the Bolts for second place … and home-ice advantage in what almost certainly will be a competitive first-round series.
(That home-ice advantage is definitely still up for grabs, though, as the Lightning hold two games in hand.)
- It’s impossible to go any further without mentioning that things are now really, really bad for the Maple Leafs.
- The New Jersey Devils stayed in the hunt with a “charity point,” but they also lost their 10th shootout of the season. They’ve been in 10 shootouts.
- The Columbus Blue Jackets and Detroit Red Wings are in the first and second wild card spots respectively thanks to big wins.
- Meanwhile, the Washington Capitals lost a frustrating game.
More of a visual learner? Here’s the updated picture:
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 14
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 17
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 25
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 17
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 52
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)