Mar 29, 2014, 10:50 PM EDT
This post about the Toronto Maple Leafs’ jarring eight-game losing streak gives a very brief update on the Eastern Conference, but for those who want more than just a dower view of how bad things are for the Buds, here’s a more diverse look at Saturday’s impact:
- The Atlantic Division is clearly the superior of the two over the long haul. While the Boston Bruins are obviously the top dog (they clinched the No. 1 spot), the other top teams in the Atlantic remain more-than-competent. The Tampa Bay Lightning rode Steven Stamkos‘ two goals (waits for “he actually scored three” jokes) to an overtime win while the Montreal Canadiens won their fifth in a row to stay two points ahead of the Bolts for second place … and home-ice advantage in what almost certainly will be a competitive first-round series.
(That home-ice advantage is definitely still up for grabs, though, as the Lightning hold two games in hand.)
- It’s impossible to go any further without mentioning that things are now really, really bad for the Maple Leafs.
- The New Jersey Devils stayed in the hunt with a “charity point,” but they also lost their 10th shootout of the season. They’ve been in 10 shootouts.
- The Columbus Blue Jackets and Detroit Red Wings are in the first and second wild card spots respectively thanks to big wins.
- Meanwhile, the Washington Capitals lost a frustrating game.
More of a visual learner? Here’s the updated picture:
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 4
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 12
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 31
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 53
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 105
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 21
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (105)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)