Mar 29, 2014, 10:50 PM EST
This post about the Toronto Maple Leafs’ jarring eight-game losing streak gives a very brief update on the Eastern Conference, but for those who want more than just a dower view of how bad things are for the Buds, here’s a more diverse look at Saturday’s impact:
- The Atlantic Division is clearly the superior of the two over the long haul. While the Boston Bruins are obviously the top dog (they clinched the No. 1 spot), the other top teams in the Atlantic remain more-than-competent. The Tampa Bay Lightning rode Steven Stamkos‘ two goals (waits for “he actually scored three” jokes) to an overtime win while the Montreal Canadiens won their fifth in a row to stay two points ahead of the Bolts for second place … and home-ice advantage in what almost certainly will be a competitive first-round series.
(That home-ice advantage is definitely still up for grabs, though, as the Lightning hold two games in hand.)
- It’s impossible to go any further without mentioning that things are now really, really bad for the Maple Leafs.
- The New Jersey Devils stayed in the hunt with a “charity point,” but they also lost their 10th shootout of the season. They’ve been in 10 shootouts.
- The Columbus Blue Jackets and Detroit Red Wings are in the first and second wild card spots respectively thanks to big wins.
- Meanwhile, the Washington Capitals lost a frustrating game.
More of a visual learner? Here’s the updated picture:
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)