Mar 29, 2014, 1:03 PM EDT
Blue Jackets goaltender Curtis McElhinney started against the Pittsburgh Penguins last night in Columbus’ 2-1 loss and they might need him to play again on no rest.
That’s because Sergei Bobrovsky is being regarded as a game-time decision as he continues to recover from the flu, according to NHL.com. Columbus has returned goalie Mike McKenna to the minors, so unless they make another move, Bobrovsky will at very least serve as the team’s backup against Carolina tonight.
Along with the Toronto Maple Leafs, Detroit Red Wings, and Washington Capitals, the Blue Jackets have 80 points. Columbus currently controls the first Wild Card spot by virtue of leading in the tiebreaker (total wins minus shootout victories). However, Detroit and Toronto will face each other tonight, so one or both of them will surpass the Blue Jackets if they lose to Carolina.
The Hurricanes are seven points behind Columbus and there’s a good chance they would miss the playoffs even if they won all of their remaining nine games.
Update: The Blue Jackets have confirmed that McElhinney will start.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)