Mar 28, 2014, 10:23 PM EDT
Not much of a surprise here, but the Pittsburgh Penguins are going to the Stanley Cup playoffs. Yes, Sidney Crosby and his bunch clinched a post-season berth with a win over the Columbus Blue Jackets on Friday.
The Penguins got goals from Chris Kunitz and Beau Bennett only 47 seconds apart in the third period to defeat the Blue Jackets by a final score of 2-1. The Penguins, having also put to an end a three-game losing streak, are still well out in front of the Metropolitan Division with 99 points.
However, the loss could have a huge impact on the Blue Jackets, and their playoff aspirations. Columbus is one of four teams currently tied with 80 points, but looking to grab the two Wild Card spots in the East. The math: two of those four teams, at some points, are going to pull ahead and grab those remaining spots.
The other two, well, it will be the opposite.
The Blue Jackets did get some help, as the Toronto Maple Leafs lost to the Philadelphia Flyers and have now been defeated in seven straight games.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 6
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 17
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 37
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)