Mar 28, 2014, 1:50 PM EDT
Tim Bozon, the Montreal prospect that had been placed in a medically-induced coma while suffering from meningitis, was released from Saskatoon’s Royal University Hospital on Friday.
“I’m feeling a lot better now … I’m excited to leave the hospital,” Bozon said Friday, per The Province. “From what I have learned since coming out of the coma, the people here at the Royal University Hospital went to amazing lengths to save my life. To them, first and foremost, my heartfelt thanks.
“But I must also extend gratitude to everyone who sent me their thoughts and prayers, especially my parents, who rushed here from France to be by my side.”
Bozon’s father, Philippe, is a former NHL player that spent four seasons with St. Louis in the early ’90s. He said his son’s recovery was “amazing” considering Tim spent most of the past month in intensive care, including several days in the aforementioned coma, designed to reduce swelling around his brain.
As for the future, Dr. Gary Hunter said he has high hopes for Bozon — the 64th overall pick at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft — resuming his playing career.
“Bacterial meningitis in young people that are young and healthy is uncommon, in the first place, this particular bug is even more uncommon. We don’t have a good reason for why he contracted it besides bad luck, really,” he explained, per Yahoo.
“It’s very difficult to speculate exactly on his long-term neurological prognosis but his early progress has been so tremendous and he’s such a healthy guy that I’m very optimistic about that [playing hockey again].”
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 9
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 72
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)