Mar 27, 2014, 10:34 AM EDT
Bobby Ryan‘s first campaign with the Ottawa Senators has been something of a disappointment, but as it turns out he wasn’t playing at 100 percent.
The 27-year-old forward has been dealing with a sports hernia since November. His hope was to play through it until the campaign was over, but he aggravated the injury on March 22 and has to be shut down for the rest of 2013-14. He will have surgery today.
“Bobby has worked hard to play through this injury to help his team and his teammates, and had yet to miss a game this season prior to the injury progressing to this point,” Senators GM Bryan Murray said, per the team’s website.
“We’re confident that he’ll recover in time to have a full summer of training that will allow him to be back in our lineup and help this team be successful next season.”
Ryan had 23 goals and 48 points in 70 games this season. Not counting the shortened campaign, this will break his streak of recording at least 30 goals and 57 points in four consecutive campaigns.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 2
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 15
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 35
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 44
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)