Mar 26, 2014, 10:17 PM EDT
Minnesota Wild head coach Mike Yeo was already answering questions about his team’s goaltending before Wednesday’s loss to the Vancouver Canucks, but the tone might change a little after that defeat.
Before that 5-2 defeat, it seemed like the questions came about more from an embarrassment of riches – or at least two/three solid choices – but Darcy Kuemper (pictured) and Ilya Bryzgalov had a rough night.
Kuemper was pulled after two periods in which he allowed three goals on 12 shots. Things didn’t go any better for Bryzgalov, however, as he allowed two goals on seven shots.
Minnesota generated a 31-19 shot advantage (including 15-6 in the second period), yet the Canucks took their third win in a row to keep hope alive. It’s difficult to imagine Vancouver (78 points, seven games remaining) catching Minnesota (85 points, eight games remaining), yet this improves the Canucks’ odds of catching the Phoenix Coyotes (82 points, eight games left) and Dallas Stars (79 points, nine games left) for the final wild card spot.
(It’s also worth noting that the Wild’s road ahead isn’t exactly a cakewalk.)
Burrows fights through it
If any Vancouver player deserves credit for toughness, it’s Alex Burrows.
Consider, for one, what he went through to begin the game:
If that wasn’t enough, he shook off a questionable hit by Nino Niederreiter (which earned the Wild forward a two-minute interference penalty). CJ Zero passes along a GIF of the check:
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 11
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)