Mar 25, 2014, 7:04 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings and Columbus Blue Jackets are in the Eastern Conference for the first time this season, and the two former Western Conference teams and Central Division mates are battling it out for precious points late in 2013-14. Their latest skirmish takes place on NBCSN and can also be viewed via the live stream link below.
The Red Wings currently hold the East’s top wild card spot with 80 points in 71 games played after taking three points in two games against the Minnesota Wild this past weekend. Gustav Nyquist is emerging as a go-to player in Detroit’s injury-depleted lineup.
The Wings don’t hold their spot by a very wide margin at all. Other active teams including Toronto (vs. St. Louis) and Washington (vs. Los Angeles) could leapfrog them; Columbus can also pass Detroit with a regulation victory thanks to tiebreaker advantages.
In other words, a lot is on the line and the East playoff picture can change drastically – maybe a few times – tonight, so it should be a fun situation to watch.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 12
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 15
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 14
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 91
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5