Mar 25, 2014, 2:19 PM EDT
New Jersey defenseman Eric Gelinas‘ had a fine campaign, scoring 27 points in 53 games while emerging as one of the best offensive rookie defensemen in the league.
As such, the Devils are going to start playing him at forward.
“They call the position rover. I don’t know what’s going on,” Gelinas said, per the Star-Ledger. “I switched jerseys twice today, so I have to be ready for anything, I guess.”
At 6-foot-4, 205 pounds, Gelinas has the size and skating ability to make for a pretty effective forward. He got a sniff playing the rover spot (flipping between wing and defense) in Sunday’s win over Toronto and did well enough to possibly warrant another look on Thursday against Phoenix.
What’s more, the Devils are, how to put this, more “conservative” when it comes to lineup choices — so the idea of using veteran journeyman Peter Harrold on the back end, while still keeping Gelinas in the lineup, made plenty of sense.
By their standards, the Devils are already inexperienced enough on D. Another rookie, 21-year-old Jon Merrill, is averaging close to 20 minutes per game — and with the Devils right in the thick of the playoff chanse, Gelinas realizes his move up front is more a byproduct of the situation than a long-term position change.
“I’m a big guy and I’m pretty fast. If I can bring some energy, which is what I was trying to do last game as a forward, when the power play comes I do what I do,” he explained.
“It’s all about helping the team. If everyone does their job, I think we can win some games. We have a good group here. I’m really not focused about where I play. I’m just trying to help out.”
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 40
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 17
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 17
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 13
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 59
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)