Mar 25, 2014, 12:18 PM EDT
Maple Leafs coach Randy Carlyle wasn’t committing to anything this morning, but the signs point to the return of Jonathan Bernier in Toronto’s net tonight against St. Louis.
Despite Carlyle’s guardedness, Bernier was the first goalie to leave the ice following the morning skate, which usually indicates the starter.
If it is Bernier tonight, it will be his first start since hurting his groin on Mar. 13 in Los Angeles. James Reimer has started every game since, losing all five while surrendering 18 goals combined and becoming the face, warranted or not, of his team’s struggles.
Toronto’s losing streak has led to its playoff chances falling to 34.2 percent, according to Sports Club Stats. A win tonight over the Presidents’ Trophy frontrunners would not only be important for the much-needed two points, but also to restore some confidence to a team that’s verging on another epic collapse.
With the possible exception of Colorado, no team has gotten more out of its goaltenders than the Leafs, who have only outshot their opponents 14 times this season.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 9
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 72
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)