Mar 25, 2014, 12:18 PM EST
Maple Leafs coach Randy Carlyle wasn’t committing to anything this morning, but the signs point to the return of Jonathan Bernier in Toronto’s net tonight against St. Louis.
Despite Carlyle’s guardedness, Bernier was the first goalie to leave the ice following the morning skate, which usually indicates the starter.
If it is Bernier tonight, it will be his first start since hurting his groin on Mar. 13 in Los Angeles. James Reimer has started every game since, losing all five while surrendering 18 goals combined and becoming the face, warranted or not, of his team’s struggles.
Toronto’s losing streak has led to its playoff chances falling to 34.2 percent, according to Sports Club Stats. A win tonight over the Presidents’ Trophy frontrunners would not only be important for the much-needed two points, but also to restore some confidence to a team that’s verging on another epic collapse.
With the possible exception of Colorado, no team has gotten more out of its goaltenders than the Leafs, who have only outshot their opponents 14 times this season.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 6
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 8
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 46
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)