Mar 25, 2014, 9:47 PM EST
The sense was that Toronto Maple Leafs goalie Jonathan Bernier would be thrown right back into the fire after an injury-related hiatus, and the St. Louis Blues definitely made that true with a 23-shot first period on Tuesday. Bernier helped to keep the Maple Leafs competitive, but it wasn’t enough as the Blues won 5-3.
With that, the wilting Leafs have now lost six straight contests, possibly providing fans with a regular season collapse to stomach after last season’s crushing Game 7 loss to the Boston Bruins. (It almost feels mean to mention that at a time like this. Apologies.)
The Maple Leafs must hope that the Washington Capitals and Columbus Blue Jackets do minimal damage in their games on Tuesday, but more than anything else, they clearly must be in a soul-searching mode right now.
The Blues likely feel just fine, on the other hand, as Ryan Miller is now 8-2-1 with his new team. David Backes collected a hat trick while T.J. Oshie and Alex Steen generated three-point nights (one goal and two assists each). The Blues beefed up their West-leading standings total to 105 points, currently also tops in the NHL.
Bernier stopped 44 Blues shots on Tuesday, but it wasn’t enough against for a falling Leafs squad.
Sometimes on-paper matchups don’t seem as one-sided in reality in sports, but this one went predictably, which turns out to be bad news for a Maple Leafs team that’s grasping for optimism.
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 0
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 36
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)