Mar 24, 2014, 10:03 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes didn’t get the win in New York, but when it comes to the bigger picture, things might be worse.
Coyotes’ goalie Mike Smith left Monday’s game against the New York Rangers with an apparent lower-body injury, suffered with less than eight minutes remaining in the third period.
With 7:34 remaining in regulation and the Coyotes leading 3-2, Smith favored his left leg and was in obvious discomfort after forward Derick Brassard fell on top of him following a scramble in front of the net.
He did not return. Thomas Greiss was forced to come into the game. The Rangers then proceeded to score the tying goal off the stick of Dan Girardi to send the game in overtime, where Ryan McDonagh scored the winner for New York. The Coyotes get the single point in a 4-3 loss.
However, the potential loss of their starting goalie could be huge, considering the Coyotes are in the thick of the Western Conference playoff race, sitting in the second Wild Card spot.
Here is a brief video explanation of the NHL’s new playoff format.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 0
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)