Feb 7, 2014, 1:31 PM EDT
Finland’s hopes of winning a medal at the 2014 Sochi Olympics may have been ruined.
According to Michael Russo of the Star Tribune, Minnesota Wild captain Mikko Koivu will not be headed to the Olympics after not being cleared to play following ankle surgery on Jan. 6. He’s expected to make that official at an announcement at 2 p.m. ET.
Koivu was injured against the Washington Capitals on January 5 and had surgery the next day so as to attempt to be back in time to play in the Olympics. That won’t be the case, however, as he hasn’t resumed playing yet and has only been skating recently with the Wild.
Koivu joins Tampa Bay Lightning forward Valtteri Filppula on Finland’s injured list. It was announced earlier today that Filppula wouldn’t be headed to Sochi after suffering a non-displaced fracture in his ankle against the Toronto Maple Leafs last night.
Without Koivu and Filppula, the Finns are down to Winnipeg Jets center Olli Jokinen and Wild center Mikael Granlund as their top two pivots. That makes for a dicey situation for a team that was believed to be a medal threat at the Olympics. Finland opens in Group B with Austria, Canada, and Norway.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 12
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 13
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)