Sep 20, 2011, 10:02 PM EST
The NHL provided video explanations to the way referees will call penalties for boarding and hits to the head next season. Many believe that players are the ones who will ultimately be responsible for improving safety, though.
Sep 1, 2011, 10:20 PM EST
Tampa Bay Lightning superstar Steven Stamkos speaks out against head shot and says that his fellow NHLers need to be more accountable for their actions on the ice. He thinks the league is headed in the right direction, but ultimately the responsibility falls to the players.
Jun 21, 2011, 8:18 PM EST
The NHL’s Board of Governors approved a few changes to Rule 41 (boarding) and Rule 48 (illegal hits to the head). How long before the wording confuses every single player and fan around the league?
Jun 8, 2011, 6:19 PM EST
During the NHL GM meetings in Boston, they’ve suggested a slight adjustment to Rule 48 that could go a long way to cleaning things up in the league.
Jun 7, 2011, 12:53 AM EST
Aaron Rome will meet with NHL VP of Hockey Operations Mike Murphy about his late and dirty hit on Nathan Horton. Don’t expect him to skate by on this one.
Jun 6, 2011, 9:09 PM EST
Aaron Rome’s late and dirty hit on Nathan Horton will dominate discussion after the first period and beyond after a scoreless first period in Game 3.
Apr 25, 2011, 4:30 PM EST
Canucks GM Mike Gillis is upset about Bryan Bickell’s hit on Kevin Bieksa that went unpenalized.
Apr 2, 2011, 1:58 PM EST
Columbus’ Jan Hejda was suspended by the league for two games for his elbow to the head of Chicago rookie Marcus Kruger.
Mar 17, 2011, 1:56 PM EST
The NHL handed down a two game suspension to Bruins forward Brad Marchand for his cheap shot elbow to the back of R.J. Umberger’s head.
Mar 9, 2011, 10:19 PM EST
If the NHL and the NHLPA can’t get their act together to curtail head shots, perhaps a major sponsor pulling their money can get everyone moving.
Mar 9, 2011, 1:00 PM EST
In this week’s hot topics, Mike Milbury talks about how Sidney Crosby is running out of time to help the Penguins this season.
Feb 9, 2011, 12:57 PM EST
Anton Volchenkov will sit down for three games thanks to his targeted elbow to the head of Zach Boychuk.
Feb 4, 2011, 12:53 PM EST
The NHL decided to suspend Daniel Paille for four games for his blindside hit on Ray Sawada.
Jan 23, 2011, 4:47 PM EST
Check out Pierre McGuire and Mike Milbury have it out over head shots in the league.
Jan 19, 2011, 3:27 PM EST
NBC’s Mike Milbury gives us his take on whether or not Rule 48 is doing its job, whether the Oilers have any blame over Ales Hemsky’s concussion, and how Daniel Briere’s fine is a sign of how soft the NHL has gotten.
Jan 14, 2011, 7:06 PM EST
Maple Leafs forward Mike Brown is getting a league mandated vacation after catching Ed Jovanovski with a clear violation of Rule 48.
Nov 23, 2010, 12:26 PM EST
New York’s Marc Staal won’t be punished by the NHL for his huge hit on Calgary’s Matthew Stajan. Did the NHL get it right?
Nov 10, 2010, 11:25 PM EST
You think it’s easy being a big guy in the NHL? Even 6’9″ Zdeno Chara has worries about head shots.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)