Sep 20, 2011, 10:02 PM EDT
The NHL provided video explanations to the way referees will call penalties for boarding and hits to the head next season. Many believe that players are the ones who will ultimately be responsible for improving safety, though.
Sep 1, 2011, 10:20 PM EDT
Tampa Bay Lightning superstar Steven Stamkos speaks out against head shot and says that his fellow NHLers need to be more accountable for their actions on the ice. He thinks the league is headed in the right direction, but ultimately the responsibility falls to the players.
Jun 21, 2011, 8:18 PM EDT
The NHL’s Board of Governors approved a few changes to Rule 41 (boarding) and Rule 48 (illegal hits to the head). How long before the wording confuses every single player and fan around the league?
Jun 8, 2011, 6:19 PM EDT
During the NHL GM meetings in Boston, they’ve suggested a slight adjustment to Rule 48 that could go a long way to cleaning things up in the league.
Jun 7, 2011, 12:53 AM EDT
Aaron Rome will meet with NHL VP of Hockey Operations Mike Murphy about his late and dirty hit on Nathan Horton. Don’t expect him to skate by on this one.
Jun 6, 2011, 9:09 PM EDT
Aaron Rome’s late and dirty hit on Nathan Horton will dominate discussion after the first period and beyond after a scoreless first period in Game 3.
Apr 25, 2011, 4:30 PM EDT
Canucks GM Mike Gillis is upset about Bryan Bickell’s hit on Kevin Bieksa that went unpenalized.
Apr 2, 2011, 1:58 PM EDT
Columbus’ Jan Hejda was suspended by the league for two games for his elbow to the head of Chicago rookie Marcus Kruger.
Mar 17, 2011, 1:56 PM EDT
The NHL handed down a two game suspension to Bruins forward Brad Marchand for his cheap shot elbow to the back of R.J. Umberger’s head.
Mar 9, 2011, 10:19 PM EDT
If the NHL and the NHLPA can’t get their act together to curtail head shots, perhaps a major sponsor pulling their money can get everyone moving.
Mar 9, 2011, 1:00 PM EDT
In this week’s hot topics, Mike Milbury talks about how Sidney Crosby is running out of time to help the Penguins this season.
Feb 9, 2011, 12:57 PM EDT
Anton Volchenkov will sit down for three games thanks to his targeted elbow to the head of Zach Boychuk.
Feb 4, 2011, 12:53 PM EDT
The NHL decided to suspend Daniel Paille for four games for his blindside hit on Ray Sawada.
Jan 23, 2011, 4:47 PM EDT
Check out Pierre McGuire and Mike Milbury have it out over head shots in the league.
Jan 19, 2011, 3:27 PM EDT
NBC’s Mike Milbury gives us his take on whether or not Rule 48 is doing its job, whether the Oilers have any blame over Ales Hemsky’s concussion, and how Daniel Briere’s fine is a sign of how soft the NHL has gotten.
Jan 14, 2011, 7:06 PM EDT
Maple Leafs forward Mike Brown is getting a league mandated vacation after catching Ed Jovanovski with a clear violation of Rule 48.
Nov 23, 2010, 12:26 PM EDT
New York’s Marc Staal won’t be punished by the NHL for his huge hit on Calgary’s Matthew Stajan. Did the NHL get it right?
Nov 10, 2010, 11:25 PM EDT
You think it’s easy being a big guy in the NHL? Even 6’9″ Zdeno Chara has worries about head shots.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)