Feb 10, 2012, 9:33 PM EDT
Initial reports indicate that he committed suicide.
Sep 12, 2011, 4:25 AM EDT
Sad news out of Moscow: Alexander Galimov died during surgery today. He was the only player who initially survived the terrible Lokomotiv Yaroslavl crash on Sept. 7. Galimov was 26 years old.
Sep 7, 2011, 7:05 PM EDT
PHT looks back at the careers and lasting impacts left behind by the victims of the Yaroslavl Lokomotive crash.
Sep 7, 2011, 2:28 PM EDT
Many NHL players expressed their condolences regarding Lokomotiv Yaroslavl’s tragic plane crash today, while Gary Bettman spoke about the “catastrophic loss to the hockey world.”
Sep 3, 2011, 10:46 PM EDT
David Legwand took out a full-page ad to pay tribute to Wade Belak.
Aug 31, 2011, 6:36 PM EDT
The NHL’s nightmare summer continues as Wade Belak was found dead at age 35.
Aug 16, 2011, 11:40 AM EDT
Here is a collection of some of the tributes from Rick Rypien’s fans, teammates and even former opponents.
Aug 15, 2011, 9:51 PM EDT
Former Canucks tough guy Rick Rypien was found dead at his Alberta Home by a family member. Rypien was just 27 years old. This post has been updated with a possible cause of death and a statement from the Winnipeg Jets.
Jul 12, 2011, 11:34 AM EDT
Here are a few quick hits from around the NHL.
May 20, 2011, 1:54 PM EDT
Derek Boogaard reportedly died from a toxic mixture of alcohol and oxycodone. (Updated with a statement from Boogaard’s family.)
May 13, 2011, 11:14 PM EDT
Awful news out of Minnesota tonight: Rangers enforcer Derek Boogaard was found dead in his apartment. He was only 28 years old.
Apr 7, 2011, 12:17 PM EDT
Sad news out of Toronto today: Scouting director Edward John “EJ” McGuire died from cancer at age 58.
Jan 7, 2011, 11:29 PM EDT
Sad news out of Providence, Rhode Island today: former San Jose Sharks draft pick and minor league player Tom Cavanagh was found dead inside a mall parking garage. The Providence Journal reports that the forward died due to “multiple traumatic injuries due to blunt force trauma.” He was 28 years old. Sharks general manager said…
Nov 30, 2010, 11:55 PM EDT
There’s some sad news for the hockey world tonight, as reports indicate that veteran columnist and Hall of Fame writer Jim Kelley died today after a long battle fighting pancreatic cancer. He was 61 years old. Kelley is survived by his wife Susan and two daughters, Erin and Megan, as well as three grandchildren. One…
- Comeau gets two games for boarding Smith 0
- Three things the Canucks haven’t done well under Torts 6
- Gillis won’t say if Tortorella’s lost Canucks room 23
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 5
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 30
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 18
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 61
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (73)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (61)