Feb 10, 2012, 9:33 PM EST
Initial reports indicate that he committed suicide.
Sep 12, 2011, 4:25 AM EST
Sad news out of Moscow: Alexander Galimov died during surgery today. He was the only player who initially survived the terrible Lokomotiv Yaroslavl crash on Sept. 7. Galimov was 26 years old.
Sep 7, 2011, 7:05 PM EST
PHT looks back at the careers and lasting impacts left behind by the victims of the Yaroslavl Lokomotive crash.
Sep 7, 2011, 2:28 PM EST
Many NHL players expressed their condolences regarding Lokomotiv Yaroslavl’s tragic plane crash today, while Gary Bettman spoke about the “catastrophic loss to the hockey world.”
Sep 3, 2011, 10:46 PM EST
David Legwand took out a full-page ad to pay tribute to Wade Belak.
Aug 31, 2011, 6:36 PM EST
The NHL’s nightmare summer continues as Wade Belak was found dead at age 35.
Aug 16, 2011, 11:40 AM EST
Here is a collection of some of the tributes from Rick Rypien’s fans, teammates and even former opponents.
Aug 15, 2011, 9:51 PM EST
Former Canucks tough guy Rick Rypien was found dead at his Alberta Home by a family member. Rypien was just 27 years old. This post has been updated with a possible cause of death and a statement from the Winnipeg Jets.
Jul 12, 2011, 11:34 AM EST
Here are a few quick hits from around the NHL.
May 20, 2011, 1:54 PM EST
Derek Boogaard reportedly died from a toxic mixture of alcohol and oxycodone. (Updated with a statement from Boogaard’s family.)
May 13, 2011, 11:14 PM EST
Awful news out of Minnesota tonight: Rangers enforcer Derek Boogaard was found dead in his apartment. He was only 28 years old.
Apr 7, 2011, 12:17 PM EST
Sad news out of Toronto today: Scouting director Edward John “EJ” McGuire died from cancer at age 58.
Jan 7, 2011, 11:29 PM EST
Sad news out of Providence, Rhode Island today: former San Jose Sharks draft pick and minor league player Tom Cavanagh was found dead inside a mall parking garage. The Providence Journal reports that the forward died due to “multiple traumatic injuries due to blunt force trauma.” He was 28 years old. Sharks general manager said…
Nov 30, 2010, 11:55 PM EST
There’s some sad news for the hockey world tonight, as reports indicate that veteran columnist and Hall of Fame writer Jim Kelley died today after a long battle fighting pancreatic cancer. He was 61 years old. Kelley is survived by his wife Susan and two daughters, Erin and Megan, as well as three grandchildren. One…
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 132
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 97
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 115
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (132)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (127)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (115)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (97)