Feb 10, 2012, 9:33 PM EDT
Initial reports indicate that he committed suicide.
Sep 12, 2011, 4:25 AM EDT
Sad news out of Moscow: Alexander Galimov died during surgery today. He was the only player who initially survived the terrible Lokomotiv Yaroslavl crash on Sept. 7. Galimov was 26 years old.
Sep 7, 2011, 7:05 PM EDT
PHT looks back at the careers and lasting impacts left behind by the victims of the Yaroslavl Lokomotive crash.
Sep 7, 2011, 2:28 PM EDT
Many NHL players expressed their condolences regarding Lokomotiv Yaroslavl’s tragic plane crash today, while Gary Bettman spoke about the “catastrophic loss to the hockey world.”
Sep 3, 2011, 10:46 PM EDT
David Legwand took out a full-page ad to pay tribute to Wade Belak.
Aug 31, 2011, 6:36 PM EDT
The NHL’s nightmare summer continues as Wade Belak was found dead at age 35.
Aug 16, 2011, 11:40 AM EDT
Here is a collection of some of the tributes from Rick Rypien’s fans, teammates and even former opponents.
Aug 15, 2011, 9:51 PM EDT
Former Canucks tough guy Rick Rypien was found dead at his Alberta Home by a family member. Rypien was just 27 years old. This post has been updated with a possible cause of death and a statement from the Winnipeg Jets.
Jul 12, 2011, 11:34 AM EDT
Here are a few quick hits from around the NHL.
May 20, 2011, 1:54 PM EDT
Derek Boogaard reportedly died from a toxic mixture of alcohol and oxycodone. (Updated with a statement from Boogaard’s family.)
May 13, 2011, 11:14 PM EDT
Awful news out of Minnesota tonight: Rangers enforcer Derek Boogaard was found dead in his apartment. He was only 28 years old.
Apr 7, 2011, 12:17 PM EDT
Sad news out of Toronto today: Scouting director Edward John “EJ” McGuire died from cancer at age 58.
Jan 7, 2011, 11:29 PM EDT
Sad news out of Providence, Rhode Island today: former San Jose Sharks draft pick and minor league player Tom Cavanagh was found dead inside a mall parking garage. The Providence Journal reports that the forward died due to “multiple traumatic injuries due to blunt force trauma.” He was 28 years old. Sharks general manager said…
Nov 30, 2010, 11:55 PM EDT
There’s some sad news for the hockey world tonight, as reports indicate that veteran columnist and Hall of Fame writer Jim Kelley died today after a long battle fighting pancreatic cancer. He was 61 years old. Kelley is survived by his wife Susan and two daughters, Erin and Megan, as well as three grandchildren. One…
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)