hits to the head
Dec 21, 2011, 9:10 PM EDT
Keith Jones and Pierre McGuire discuss changes related to Rule No. 48.
Sep 20, 2011, 10:02 PM EDT
The NHL provided video explanations to the way referees will call penalties for boarding and hits to the head next season. Many believe that players are the ones who will ultimately be responsible for improving safety, though.
Aug 26, 2011, 8:28 PM EDT
The 2011 Molson Export Quebec Hockey Summit will feature plenty of discussion about how to handle the sport’s most troubling hits.
Jun 21, 2011, 8:18 PM EDT
The NHL’s Board of Governors approved a few changes to Rule 41 (boarding) and Rule 48 (illegal hits to the head). How long before the wording confuses every single player and fan around the league?
Mar 15, 2011, 2:19 PM EDT
The NHL’s GMs decided not to recommend a ban on all hits to the head during today’s meetings. But the question is: should they? Read this post and then let us know if you think all hits to the head should be illegal by casting your vote in our poll.
Mar 12, 2011, 2:50 PM EDT
Concussions, hits to the head and other violent matters will once again dominate discussion of the spring GM meetings. In fact, Sabres GM Darcy Regier thinks that the league will eventually make all head hits illegal. Click “Read More” for the details.
Jan 30, 2011, 1:36 PM EDT
Gary Bettman admits that concussions have increased, but claims that blindside hits have decreased thanks to rule changes. Click “Read More” for the details.
Jan 14, 2011, 7:06 PM EDT
Maple Leafs forward Mike Brown is getting a league mandated vacation after catching Ed Jovanovski with a clear violation of Rule 48.
Oct 18, 2010, 4:39 PM EDT
Shane Doan was suspended for three games by the NHL. It’s a good first step for the NHL to show they’re serious about cutting down illegal head shots, but it’s just the first step towards improvement.
Oct 16, 2010, 12:42 AM EDT
The Penguins are upset over a game-misconduct penalty given to defenseman Kris Letang for a hit to the head of Blake Comeau. Their problem? Comeau wasn’t even hit in the head.
Nick Foligno fined, but not suspended, for hit to head on Patrick Dwyer; Did NHL make the right choice?
Oct 15, 2010, 1:48 PM EDT
The NHL decided to fine – but not suspend – Nick Foligno for his hit on Patrick Dwyer. Check out a bigger version of the video and vote on whether or not Foligno deserved to be suspended by clicking “Read More.”
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 8
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 16
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)