Archives › Matt Reitz
Sep 29, 2011, 2:00 PM EDT
As far as Western Conference teams go, the Nashville Predators have one of the most manageable schedules around. Now they’ll have to prove that they can take care of business.
Sep 29, 2011, 12:00 PM EDT
Look for the Detroit Red Wings to get off to a quick start over the course of the first two months of the season. They better, because there are a few tough stretches later in the season that could cause stress in the Motor City.
Sep 29, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
The Jackets have a few tough stretches in the middle of the season, but if they can keep their head above water, their schedule will give them an opportunity to finish strong.
Sep 29, 2011, 9:00 AM EDT
Your favorite team is going to be sporting a new look once the regular season starts. As if the numbers on the back (and shoulders) of each jersey and on the back of helmets weren’t enough, players will be featuring numbers on the front of their helmets this season. Really.
Sep 29, 2011, 8:00 AM EDT
Two long stretches away from home and a new year filled with games at the United Center could have the Blackhawks looking like a schizophrenic team for the first half of the season…
Sep 29, 2011, 1:24 AM EDT
Both Mike Babcock and Joel Quenneville saw Brendan Smith’s hit on Ben Smith. It was only one play, yet the two coaches have two different perspectives on what went down at the United Center.
Sep 29, 2011, 12:55 AM EDT
The last time Anze Kopitar faced the Colorado Avalanche, he broke his ankle in the second period. On Wednesday night, he scored two goals en route to a preseason hat trick.
Sep 28, 2011, 10:51 PM EDT
This was supposed to be an easy decision for the Panthers. Let Jonathan Huberdeau show what he could do in camp and then send him back to juniors to work on his overall strength and two-way game. Apparently, it’s not that easy…
Sep 28, 2011, 9:01 PM EDT
Sean Avery has always walked the line between pest and troublemaker. But now is he walking the line between the NHL and a trip to the AHL?
Sep 28, 2011, 7:01 PM EDT
Divisional odds are out. What are your favorite teams’ chances to win their division this season?
Sep 28, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
Jonas Hiller is showing that everything is back to normal this training camp. But listening to his teammates talk, we never really knew how bad it really was last season…
Sep 26, 2011, 9:00 AM EDT
Nathan Horton returned to the ice for the first time since the brutal hit in Game 3 of last year’s Stanley Cup final. If his first game back is any indication, he’ll be just fine with the Bruins this year.
Sep 26, 2011, 1:53 AM EDT
How the mighty have fallen. Jonathan Cheechoo continues to cling to his hockey career as the Blues waive the former 56-goal man. Next stop: the Peoria Rivermen of the American Hockey League.
Sep 26, 2011, 12:34 AM EDT
39-year-old Owen Nolan is attempting to return to the NHL with one of the deepest teams in the entire league. According to Canucks head coach Alain Vigneault, he could have a spot if his body could withstand the rigors of an entire season.
Sep 25, 2011, 11:14 PM EDT
It’s no secret that the Chicago Blackhawks are looking for someone to fill the void they have at center on their second line. But is Patrick Kane the answer?
Sep 25, 2011, 9:40 PM EDT
Sam Gagner is day-to-day after crashing into the boards against the Flames in a preseason game on Saturday night. Luckily for Gagner and the Oilers, the ankle injury doesn’t seem too serious…
Sep 25, 2011, 8:37 PM EDT
The league’s hammer came down on Brad Boyes with a two-game suspension for his head to the head of Joe Colborne. Now, Brendan Shanahan has explained exactly why Boyes received the two-game penalty.
Sep 25, 2011, 7:49 PM EDT
Corey Crawford ripped the starting job away from Marty Turco in the middle of last season. Now, he’ll try to prove that he can succeed while being the undisputed #1 from the very beginning of training camp.
Sep 24, 2011, 9:00 AM EDT
After suffering a horrific ankle injury towards the end of the regular season last year, Anze Kopitar looks to continue his assent as one of the premier centers in the NHL. Having Mike Richards behind him should make the journey just a little bit easier.
Sep 24, 2011, 8:00 AM EDT
The writing may have been on the wall for Manny Legacy from the moment he accepted a tryout with the Canucks. The inevitable happened on Friday when Vancouver released him from his professional tryout.
Sep 24, 2011, 2:45 AM EDT
Not only did the Colorado Avalanche lose their preseason game on Friday, they also announced that Brandon Yip and Jan Hejda have been lost to injury.
Sep 24, 2011, 12:26 AM EDT
Marian Gaborik and Brad Richards wasted little time showing what they’re capable of this season on Broadway. Both had a goal and an assist while working together for the first time on the Rangers top line.
Sep 23, 2011, 11:17 PM EDT
Jagr had a goal and an assist in his first period as a member of the Philadelphia Flyers. The scary part? He wasn’t happy with his performance.
Sep 23, 2011, 10:17 PM EDT
Despite allowing four goals in the third period, Ray Emery continues to battle as he tries to earn the back-up goaltender role in Chicago. But if he’s unsuccessful, will he get a shot somewhere else?
Sep 23, 2011, 8:32 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs unveiled their third jerseys for the 2011-12 season. Not surprisingly, they’re blue with a big maple leaf on the chest.
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 16
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 44
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 0
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 15
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 25
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- PFT: Gronk's arm infection clear after surgery
- HBT: Dodgers have 'no plans' to fire Mattingly
- PBT: Brothers assaulted for taking Lillard's photo?
- PBT: Nets reportedly 'hone in' on Grizzlies' Hollins
- CBT: Ex-Rutgers coach Rice seeks Lucas' counsel
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control