Archives › Matt Reitz
Oct 4, 2011, 9:00 AM EDT
Will the Ducks be able to ride their fantastic finish last season to yet another playoff appearance this season. Never underestimate the power of an elite scoring line and great goaltending.
Oct 3, 2011, 8:30 PM EDT
People have vastly underestimated Phoenix over the last two seasons and the Coyotes have consistently exceeded expectations. But without Ilya Bryzgalov around and question marks in net, is this the season when the Coyotes fall from the playoff race?
Oct 3, 2011, 7:00 PM EDT
Once again, the Sharks will battle among the league’s elite as they try to take the next step in their development. Back-to-back appearances in the Western Conference final have set the bar fairly high in the Bay Area; and they have a team that has the chance to fulfill the lofty expectations.
Oct 3, 2011, 5:00 PM EDT
The Stars were within a single win on the final day of the regular season from a spot in the playoffs last season. Will they be able to take the next step and secure a playoff berth next season? Don’t bet on it.
Oct 3, 2011, 3:00 PM EDT
Newcomers Jeff Carter and James Wisniewski had Blue Jackets fans hoping for a playoff spot this season. But without a better effort from Steve Mason in net, none of the offseason moves will make a difference.
Oct 3, 2011, 2:00 PM EDT
Once again, the Wings have the talent to not only make the playoffs, but do some damage once they get there. With Zetterberg, Datsyuk, and Lidstrom around for yet another season, just how deep can the winged-wheel go this season?
Oct 3, 2011, 8:00 AM EDT
Sooner or later, people are going to start realizing that the Nashville Predators are a perennial playoff team. With strong coaching, defense, and goaltending, they should be in the mix for the playoffs yet again.
Oct 3, 2011, 1:00 AM EDT
The Blues were expected to be a playoff team last year, but injuries and inconsistency derailed the team midway through the season. Will the veteran leadership of Jamie Langenbrunner and Jason Arnott help the team right the ship?
Oct 3, 2011, 12:25 AM EDT
Will the Chicago Blackhawks be able to shake off the Stanley Cup hangover from last season and regain their focus for 82 games? If they can, the league better watch out– they still have enough talent to win it all.
Sep 30, 2011, 6:00 PM EDT
November and December should be kind to the Sharks this season. They better be, because February is going to be tough.
Sep 30, 2011, 3:00 PM EDT
By kicking off the season in Europe and playing the vast majority of games in February and March on the road, it’s no surprise that the Kings will travel more miles than any other team in the NHL this season.
Sep 30, 2011, 2:00 PM EDT
The Ducks will have to survive a 7-game road trip early in the season and an 8-game trip in February if they want to have a shot at the playoffs.
Sep 30, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
Long stretches away from Arizona combined with long stretches on home ice could equal one of the streakiest teams in the league this season.
Sep 30, 2011, 8:00 AM EDT
Three separate stretches next season could prove to hurt the Dallas Stars’ playoff chances next season.
Sep 30, 2011, 3:43 AM EDT
The first step was for all sides to reach a contract agreement. With that out of the way, the next step is for everyone to talk about reaching the contract agreement.
Sep 30, 2011, 1:30 AM EDT
NHL teams better get to the Canucks quick, because once the calendar turns to March, they should be streaking towards the playoffs.
Sep 30, 2011, 1:02 AM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers are faced with a schedule that will see them travel over 5,000 miles this season. We’ll go out on a limb and assume this probably isn’t how a young team wants to learn how to win.
Sep 29, 2011, 11:43 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings and restricted agent Drew Doughty have finally come to terms on an 8-year, $56 million contract. And not a moment too soon.
Sep 29, 2011, 11:20 PM EDT
The young Avalanche will need to survive a tough, Eastern Conference road trip to start the season. If not, the season could be over before it begins.
Sep 29, 2011, 10:41 PM EDT
Planes, trains, and automobiles would have been a step up for the Devils during their short trip to Philadelphia. How about buses and walking shoes?
Sep 29, 2011, 9:41 PM EDT
The Flames will travel a ton of miles this season–so they better take advantage of a long homestand at the beginning of the season. Otherwise, it could be an uphill hill battle for the rest of the year.
Sep 29, 2011, 8:50 PM EDT
Sidney Crosby will join the Penguins as they travel to Western Canada to start the regular season. Just don’t expect to see him on the ice once the games start…
Sep 29, 2011, 8:05 PM EDT
If the Minnesota Wild and successful navigate their way through November and December, they could ride a strong finish to a playoff berth.
Sep 29, 2011, 7:24 PM EDT
Punishments are handed down for everything from headshots to boarding to instigating a fight. Is it time that trash talk that crosses the link should start to be punished as well? One coach thinks so…
Sep 29, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT
It could be a rough start for the Blues and it could be a rough finish for the Blues. It’s the work they can do mid-season that will determine their playoff fate.
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 18
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 46
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 1
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 15
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 25
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control