Archives › Joe Yerdon
Oct 26, 2010, 4:06 PM EDT
You’d have to think that getting your nose broken would be a pretty standard injury in the NHL. Pucks are flying around, sticks get lifted, punches get thrown. These are all perils for your nose on the ice. It still hurts just the same, however, and for Anaheim Ducks forward Dan Sexton, a shot from…
Oct 26, 2010, 3:40 PM EDT
Kings fans can breathe a little easier today. Last night Kings captain Dustin Brown was given a five-minute major and a game misconduct for a head shot on Wild forward Antti Miettinen. With the NHL’s new rule regarding reckless and blindside blows to the head, Brown’s seemingly tough hit on Miettinen could’ve been cited for…
Oct 26, 2010, 3:09 PM EDT
Whether he’s in the NHL or the AHL, Sheldon Souray can’t help but show that he’s still capable of making really bad decisions.
Oct 26, 2010, 1:16 PM EDT
The Bruins’ season is off to a great start and the upside for them now is that they’ll be getting key reinforcements back. They’re 4-2-0 to start the season and things are clicking pretty well without offensive studs Marc Savard and Marco Sturm. The good news for them today is that both Savard and Sturm…
Oct 26, 2010, 12:16 PM EDT
Tonight’s schedule in the NHL
Oct 26, 2010, 10:27 AM EDT[kml_flashembedmovie="http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/embed.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="245" quality="high" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" fvars="catid=-7&id=79977&server=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://app2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/"/]
Andrei Kostitsyn’s Montreal Canadiens career has been, to this point, a bit controversial and over-dramatic. So far this year, however, everything has been forgiven. Kostitsyn’s fifth goal of the year last night sent the Montreal fans home abundantly happy and excited to have another goal scoring threat as he scored in overtime beating Coyotes goaltender…
Oct 26, 2010, 1:14 AM EDT
A recap of last night’s action in the NHL. Make sure to keep your head up through the zone.
Oct 26, 2010, 12:14 AM EDT
One columnist thinks that contraction should be an option for the NHL to fix its financial and attendance problems. Is it something that could actually be considered? Well, uh…
Oct 25, 2010, 9:56 PM EDT
If you’re wondering if the NHL’s new rule about punishing head shots is working or not, you can worry no more. Los Angeles Kings captain Dustin Brown received a five-minute major and a game misconduct for delivering a shot to the head of prone Minnesota Wild forward Antti Miettinen. Miettinen wasn’t injured on the play…
Oct 25, 2010, 8:02 PM EDT
Devils GM Lou Lamoriello gives head coach John MacLean a vote of confidence. Is it time for John MacLean to start worrying?
Oct 24, 2010, 11:50 AM EDT
You can say we’re big fans of doing good things for charity around here and with this month being the NHL’s Hockey Fights Cancer month, seeing some of the innovative ways teams are going about raising money for charity is interesting to see play out. The Kings and Avalanche decided to amp things up in…
Oct 24, 2010, 10:45 AM EDT
Today’s got a bit of a light schedule with just three games, but expect the Ilya Kovalchuk drama 2.0 to get the bulk of the attention today.
Oct 24, 2010, 10:15 AM EDT
A pair of key players for Western Conference contenders are getting close to returning to their teams lineups. In Chicago, defenseman Brian Campbell is back on his skates and working out after injuring his right knee during training camp. Campbell being out of the lineup has thinned things out for the Blackhawks, but they haven’t…
Oct 24, 2010, 9:45 AM EDT
Paul Bissonette (aka: Biz Nasty) is a renaissance man on the Internet. You might know him better as a Twitter superstar, but when he gets in the lineup for the Phoenix Coyotes, you better believe he’s in there to mix things up. In this case, his job was to try and light a fire under…
Oct 24, 2010, 9:00 AM EDT
Last night saw three different players score hat tricks in the NHL for the second night in a row. Which player had the most impressive hat trick of the bunch?
Oct 24, 2010, 2:42 AM EDT
Teemu Selanne didn’t take kindly to a questionable hit received by Red Wings defenseman Niklas Kronwall and says that “he’ll get his someday.” Was it a dirty hit though?
Oct 24, 2010, 1:45 AM EDT
All the night’s action summed up as briefly as humanly possible while expanding your minds.
Oct 24, 2010, 12:47 AM EDT
The Red Wings and Ducks played another wild game in Detroit tonight and again it would be Pavel Datsyuk who stole the show. When the teams met earlier this year, Datsyuk earned himself a Gordie Howe hat trick scoring a goal, getting an assist and fighting Corey Perry. Tonight, Datsyuk would find a new way…
Oct 24, 2010, 12:12 AM EDT
While the Avalanche are already dealing with a concussion to captain Adam Foote, the man who was meant to step up and supply more of that physical play is dealing with troubles of his own now. During the Avalanche’s 6-4 loss to the Los Angeles Kings, defenseman Scott Hannan left the game in the second…
Oct 23, 2010, 11:09 PM EDT
When a team is struggling, sometimes you need a spark to jump the team. Perhaps Devils coach John MacLean might want to pick on someone other than Ilya Kovalchuk to send a message… If that’s even the case.
Oct 23, 2010, 10:20 PM EDT
If the Islanders didn’t have John Tavares, they wouldn’t have been on the scoreboard all night long. The Panthers took down the Islanders 4-3 but Islanders star John Tavares wouldn’t go down quietly, netting his first NHL hat trick in the defeat.
Oct 23, 2010, 7:31 PM EDT
Consider this to be your heads up for the talking point for the next few days. Ilya Kovalchuk is out of the lineup for tonight’s game against the Buffalo Sabres as a healthy scratch. Head coach John MacLean wants to give him a night off to think about things. So far this season, Kovalchuk has…
Oct 22, 2010, 6:00 PM EDT
Here’s the rundown of tonight’s likely starting goalies in the NHL.
Oct 22, 2010, 5:17 PM EDT
The Colorado Avalanche are going to have to make due without defenseman and captain Adam Foote for an undetermined amount of time thanks to a concussion. The Denver Post’s Adrian Dater has the story on what’s going on with Foote. The 39-year-old defenseman suffered the injury at the end of the first period Thursday night…
Oct 22, 2010, 4:47 PM EDT
James Engquist, the fan grabbed by Canucks forward Rick Rypien, isn’t happy with the punishment handed down by the NHL and says if he did that at his job he’d be fired. Welcome to reality, James.
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 18
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 46
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 1
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 15
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 25
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control