Dec 21, 2012, 9:05 PM EDT
Most of the time, top Canadian players are busy during the Spengler Cup, but with the lockout dragging on — well, they got some free time.
With that in mind, Hockey Canada unveiled a stacked roster for the upcoming tournament.
Matt Duchene, Jason Spezza, John Tavares, Patrice Bergeron, Sam Gagner, Tyler Seguin, and Ryan Smyth will be leading the Canadian’s attack. Defensively, the squad will feature Cam Barker, Jason Demers, and Carlo Colaiacovo. Canada’s netminders will be Devan Dubnyk and Jonathan Bernier.
Doug Shedden will be the team’s head coach after three stints as an assistant coach in this tournament from 2009-11. Shedden is a retired player who had 325 points in 416 NHL games with the Pittsburgh Penguins, Detroit Red Wings, Quebec Nordiques, and Toronto Maple Leafs.
Hockey Canada pointed out that the squad will feature two former Olympic gold medalists (Smyth and Bergeron) and 11 players who have served on Team Canada during one or more World Championships.
The six-team tournament will take place from Dec. 26 to Dec. 31.
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 38
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 54
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 42
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 75
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 34
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 48
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 59
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Zuccarello: ‘I’m not a diver’ 50
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)