Wilson says Sharks’ summer has ‘gone exactly the right way’

Sep 5, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT

Doug Wilson AP

Entertaining column here from Mark Purdy of the San Jose Mercury News, about the Sharks’ “Summer of Shame” following the blowing of a 3-0 lead over the Kings, and how general manager Doug Wilson is framing the message heading into the season.

Key excerpt:

Whew. The summer sure hasn’t gone the way the Sharks wanted, has it?

“It’s gone exactly the right way we wanted,” Wilson told me on the phone the other day.

See? There’s where we all might get confused.

But during a lengthy and healthy discussion of all these matters, Wilson finally figured out a different way to frame his message. Or maybe he finally just said out loud what he has been thinking all along.

“I really want people on this team who are comfortable feeling uncomfortable,” Wilson said. “That includes the general manager, the coaches and the players.”

We’ve tried ourselves to make sense of the “rebuild” in San Jose. At this point, we just want to see how it all shakes out.

The Sharks kick off the 2014-15 season on Oct. 8 in, of all places, Los Angeles (on NBCSN). And as you can see below, they also play nine of their first 12 games on the road…

source:

Related: Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well

1. capsnbohs23 - Sep 5, 2014 at 11:25 AM

Exactly the right way?

2. 19to77 - Sep 5, 2014 at 11:39 AM

And on that day, a nation’s eyebrows were raised in unison and in one voice they said: “Suuure… we believe you.”

Seriously. If you want people to believe something, show enough confidence not to constantly remind them of it. He can’t go two weeks without insisting to the nearest camera that everything went according to plan. It sounds more and more false every time.

3. pirovash88 - Sep 5, 2014 at 11:40 AM

Good luck trying to make Marleau and Thornton feel uncomfortable with those no trade clauses, haha.

4. sjsblitz - Sep 5, 2014 at 11:49 AM

I wouldnt look into anything Mark Purdy writes, the guy is a tool.

• skr213 - Sep 5, 2014 at 2:01 PM

Uhhhh, excuse me? He’s one of the best Sharks writers out there.

5. Brian - Sep 5, 2014 at 11:53 AM

I swore never to read Mark Purdy again until he stopped using the phrase “beloved Los Tiburones.” I only read this because you said it would be “entertaining,” Brough. You made me break my vow for that insipid column?

• Jason Brough - Sep 5, 2014 at 12:53 PM

Lo siento mi amigo.

6. patthehockeyfan - Sep 5, 2014 at 12:21 PM

Wilson is drinking his own Kool-Aid. HIs pronouncements this summer have been dizzying, to say the least.

Gotta laugh, though, at one of the reader’s comments on Purdy’s story:

“The Sharks’ biggest moves this off-season:
    1. Firing their color TV analyst
    2. Hiring Ice Girls.

I bet the Kings are scared to death. smh”

7. sharksfan97 - Sep 5, 2014 at 12:56 PM

No, the Sharks biggest moves this offseason occurred at the draft. They had an outstanding one. Nicolay Goldobin is already a special player. Watch the Top Prospects game replay. He outplayed everyone, including Sam Reinhart. He plays a lot like Daysyuk (and I know that’s a lofty comparison). The second round was equally as good to SJ, where they nabbed Julius Bergman and Noah Rod. Finally, they were able to add potentially the next Couture in Rourke Chartier. Kid looks special. I think Goldobin makes the team this year, and with a healthy Hertl and Matt Nieto, the Sharks youth will be the envy of the league. This team has finally got the message: build from within. Youth wins and adds tremendous energy. If Jumbo and Patty are willing to hand over the reigns, the Sharks will be very scary. In the end, I still love being a SJ fan. They’re always entertaining, play a fun, offensive game that’s fun to watch. I know the Kings are the champs, but we had Sutter and Lombardi and watching dead puck hockey all regular season is not in my opinion fun to watch. Some drama with SJ, but probably needed. This team was too comfortable, too country club. Watch out for these guys yet again. Go Sharks.

• bsaures - Sep 5, 2014 at 1:19 PM

The reason goldobin went so late is be ause he was hands down the worst player defensively that was taken in the first round. He is the prototypical lazy Russian.

8. sharksfan97 - Sep 5, 2014 at 1:07 PM

Sharks lines:

1. Marleau – Couture – Nieto
    2. Goldobin – Pavelski – Kennedy
    3. Hertl – Jumbo – Wingels
    4. Hamilton – Sheppard/Desi – Brown/others

D

1. Vlasic – Burns
    2. Mueller – Braun
    3. Irwin/Doherty – Demers
    4. Hannan

Waiting in wings: Tierney, Raffi Torres, etc.

I’m more than ok with this lineup, nice mix of youth, skill, grit, scoring balance and speed.

• titansrbeast - Sep 5, 2014 at 2:41 PM

I think you meant to say “this is what our lines shouldn’t look like.”

9. sharksfan97 - Sep 5, 2014 at 1:17 PM

And one final thing for all the naysayers, SJ could be a team like:

Toronto
    Ottawa
    Edmonton
    Calgary
    Vancouver
    Phoenix
    Nashville
    Winnipeg
    New Jersey
    Florida
    Carolina
    You get the picture…
    And for all those DW haters, he’s put a playoff caliber, outstanding product on the ice for the last 10 years. He took the Sharks from the dark days after Lombardi screwed our team and was fired and made SJ a perennial powerhouse. I’m fully aware of their inability to win the Cup, but friends, winning the Cup ain’t easy! And by the way, players choke, not GMs. Perhaps extending JT and PM was a mistake, but DW had a choice, let them walk, or bring them back as supporting talent for the young emerging stars. I like DW’s choice. Call us chokers all you want, but many of you are throwing stones from the porches of poor teams with glass houses.

• skuba7 - Sep 6, 2014 at 4:01 PM

Who are the ‘naysayers’ you are speaking to? The headline says “Wilson says Sharks’ summer has ‘gone exactly the right way’”
      What part of that statement rings true to you? How could you (or anyone else, really) argue what is plain to see? Wilson did NOT do anything this summer to change all the things he said he would change. We are not naysayers, the comments here are truth-telling.
      You’re angry as a Sharks fan, we get it. But, instead of focusing on the comments or commenters, why don’t you direct that at your Franchise for all the doublespeak.

10. sharksfan97 - Sep 5, 2014 at 1:42 PM

@bsaures, watch the CHL Top Prospects game and perhaps that will change your opinion. His high minus number with Sarnia was attributable to his team being terrible (other than DeAngelo). Only time will tell what type of defensive player he will be in the NHL, but he was hands down the best player amongst all the top prospects at that game. And, Sam Reinhart’s D play wasn’t all the spectacular, to be expected from young offensive studs. But in that game Goldobin picked the pockets of more than a few players sending he and Sam in transition. His pocket picking was very Datsyuk like.

• bsaures - Sep 5, 2014 at 1:58 PM

I watched him play several games the last couple years he doesnt back check at all. His -30 was well earned. I watched 8 games with him playing last year alone and I dont think I saw him come lower than the top of the faceoff circle once. Great players make those around them better he does not.

11. vancouversportsbro - Sep 5, 2014 at 2:08 PM

Yeah, they sure went the right way. After choking another playoff series and talking big he got rid of Dan Boyle and stripped jumbo Joe of the c. Big moves alright.

12. sharksfan97 - Sep 5, 2014 at 3:36 PM

No, I stick by my lines analysis. I have my opinion, and may not be right, but at least I offer constructive thought. Funny, what I see in these forums is a lot of criticism, but not a lot of ideas. True, it’s easier to be negative than to actually have a constructive idea. Simple minds criticize, original thinkers try and solve. It’s apparent which category some of you fall into.

• bsaures - Sep 5, 2014 at 4:12 PM

And there is also being realistic and totally over valuing the prospect. There is a reason he was left to 27th there were players that teams thought were better than him. You can blame his situation in sarnia all you want but look at the pick before him made by montreal- nikita sherbak. He played on a WORSE team than sarnia (fewer wins in more games) who also struggled to acore goals. He also led his team in scoring by a wide margin. He also happens to be russian. So then why did montreal choose him over goldobin especially when galchenyuk had played with him and had chemistry? Simple sherbak is much better defensively. -6 versus -30.

• skuba7 - Sep 6, 2014 at 3:49 PM

Most of the comments are not from Sharks fans @sharksfan97, this is a problem the Sharks have, and the nonsense the GM and Franchise is spewing. The comments have no place to be constructive in that arena.
      You of course have your opinions, no one is telling you that you cannot or shouldn’t. Speaking down to other commenters will simply open up more criticism instead of the ‘solutions’ you would have us come up with for San Jose’s issues.
      Here’s a solution for SJ, shut the hell up, accept that your team let everyone down on the ice, acknowledge that you have done NOTHING this offseason when you told everyone that SJ would be rebuilding and promise to make your efforts and team a better one, by learning from the numerous mistakes in previous years.

13. sharksfan97 - Sep 5, 2014 at 5:02 PM

Perhaps, or maybe Montreal preferred Sherbak’s size. In any event, the truth of the matter is neither you nor I know how good Goldobin (or Sherbak for that matter) are going to be in the NHL. I do know that in the prospects game, Goldobin had chance after chance and he finished and was player of the game, whereas Sherbak was held pointless. In the end, I’m just a fan hoping for the best for my team and their top prospect and even though I think the world of the young man he may not pan out. But that does not negate my argument that many in here that enjoy taking negative shots without providing their own ideas.

Why are we talking about fighting... again?

Top 10 NHL Player Searches
  1. P. Datsyuk (3324)
  2. J. Drouin (2691)
  3. M. Gaborik (2550)
  4. J. Spezza (2534)
  5. S. Varlamov (2435)
  1. E. Kane (2432)
  2. E. Staal (2424)
  3. J. Skinner (2153)
  4. P. Dupuis (2032)
  5. R. Nugent-Hopkins (2002)