Sep 5, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT
Entertaining column here from Mark Purdy of the San Jose Mercury News, about the Sharks’ “Summer of Shame” following the blowing of a 3-0 lead over the Kings, and how general manager Doug Wilson is framing the message heading into the season.
Whew. The summer sure hasn’t gone the way the Sharks wanted, has it?
“It’s gone exactly the right way we wanted,” Wilson told me on the phone the other day.
See? There’s where we all might get confused.
But during a lengthy and healthy discussion of all these matters, Wilson finally figured out a different way to frame his message. Or maybe he finally just said out loud what he has been thinking all along.
“I really want people on this team who are comfortable feeling uncomfortable,” Wilson said. “That includes the general manager, the coaches and the players.”
We’ve tried ourselves to make sense of the “rebuild” in San Jose. At this point, we just want to see how it all shakes out.
The Sharks kick off the 2014-15 season on Oct. 8 in, of all places, Los Angeles (on NBCSN). And as you can see below, they also play nine of their first 12 games on the road…
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 49
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)