Sep 5, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT
Entertaining column here from Mark Purdy of the San Jose Mercury News, about the Sharks’ “Summer of Shame” following the blowing of a 3-0 lead over the Kings, and how general manager Doug Wilson is framing the message heading into the season.
Whew. The summer sure hasn’t gone the way the Sharks wanted, has it?
“It’s gone exactly the right way we wanted,” Wilson told me on the phone the other day.
See? There’s where we all might get confused.
But during a lengthy and healthy discussion of all these matters, Wilson finally figured out a different way to frame his message. Or maybe he finally just said out loud what he has been thinking all along.
“I really want people on this team who are comfortable feeling uncomfortable,” Wilson said. “That includes the general manager, the coaches and the players.”
We’ve tried ourselves to make sense of the “rebuild” in San Jose. At this point, we just want to see how it all shakes out.
The Sharks kick off the 2014-15 season on Oct. 8 in, of all places, Los Angeles (on NBCSN). And as you can see below, they also play nine of their first 12 games on the road…
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 0
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 21
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 15
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 37
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 25
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)