Sep 5, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT
Entertaining column here from Mark Purdy of the San Jose Mercury News, about the Sharks’ “Summer of Shame” following the blowing of a 3-0 lead over the Kings, and how general manager Doug Wilson is framing the message heading into the season.
Whew. The summer sure hasn’t gone the way the Sharks wanted, has it?
“It’s gone exactly the right way we wanted,” Wilson told me on the phone the other day.
See? There’s where we all might get confused.
But during a lengthy and healthy discussion of all these matters, Wilson finally figured out a different way to frame his message. Or maybe he finally just said out loud what he has been thinking all along.
“I really want people on this team who are comfortable feeling uncomfortable,” Wilson said. “That includes the general manager, the coaches and the players.”
We’ve tried ourselves to make sense of the “rebuild” in San Jose. At this point, we just want to see how it all shakes out.
The Sharks kick off the 2014-15 season on Oct. 8 in, of all places, Los Angeles (on NBCSN). And as you can see below, they also play nine of their first 12 games on the road…
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)