Sep 5, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT
Entertaining column here from Mark Purdy of the San Jose Mercury News, about the Sharks’ “Summer of Shame” following the blowing of a 3-0 lead over the Kings, and how general manager Doug Wilson is framing the message heading into the season.
Whew. The summer sure hasn’t gone the way the Sharks wanted, has it?
“It’s gone exactly the right way we wanted,” Wilson told me on the phone the other day.
See? There’s where we all might get confused.
But during a lengthy and healthy discussion of all these matters, Wilson finally figured out a different way to frame his message. Or maybe he finally just said out loud what he has been thinking all along.
“I really want people on this team who are comfortable feeling uncomfortable,” Wilson said. “That includes the general manager, the coaches and the players.”
We’ve tried ourselves to make sense of the “rebuild” in San Jose. At this point, we just want to see how it all shakes out.
The Sharks kick off the 2014-15 season on Oct. 8 in, of all places, Los Angeles (on NBCSN). And as you can see below, they also play nine of their first 12 games on the road…
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 2
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 12
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 53
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 19
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 16
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)