Sep 5, 2014, 10:19 AM EDT
The Sedin twins are only pointing fingers at themselves for what happened last season in Vancouver, where their offensive production fell off a cliff and the Canucks missed the playoffs for the first time since 2008.
“It was our fault,” Daniel Sedin told The Province. “You can’t blame anyone else, but we have to get back to trying things, being unpredictable and trying things. We’ve got to get that cycling back and produce like the top guys do on every team.”
Others, like new president of hockey ops Trevor Linden, have pointed the finger at former coach John Tortorella, arguing the Sedins were miscast in 2013-14.
But regardless of who was to blame, the Sedins seem to have come to the conclusion that creativity and unpredictability are their strengths — not blocking shots or dumping and chasing — so that’s what they’ll be focusing on under new coach Willie Desjardins.
“It’s trusting your instincts and it’s making the extra play,” said Henrik, “where some of the fans and coaches maybe go crazy a little bit, but that’s why we’ve been producing.”
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 6
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 19
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 10
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 36
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)