Sep 5, 2014, 10:19 AM EDT
The Sedin twins are only pointing fingers at themselves for what happened last season in Vancouver, where their offensive production fell off a cliff and the Canucks missed the playoffs for the first time since 2008.
“It was our fault,” Daniel Sedin told The Province. “You can’t blame anyone else, but we have to get back to trying things, being unpredictable and trying things. We’ve got to get that cycling back and produce like the top guys do on every team.”
Others, like new president of hockey ops Trevor Linden, have pointed the finger at former coach John Tortorella, arguing the Sedins were miscast in 2013-14.
But regardless of who was to blame, the Sedins seem to have come to the conclusion that creativity and unpredictability are their strengths — not blocking shots or dumping and chasing — so that’s what they’ll be focusing on under new coach Willie Desjardins.
“It’s trusting your instincts and it’s making the extra play,” said Henrik, “where some of the fans and coaches maybe go crazy a little bit, but that’s why we’ve been producing.”
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)