Sep 5, 2014, 12:48 PM EDT
According to the story, the CHL, in tandem with broadcaster Sportsnet, is considering a change from the current format to a March Madness-like format.
This vision implies to have more than four teams in contention to play more playoff games to generate interest and disseminate more games to attract more viewers.
“Whenever the content increases, it’s great for us. What is good with March Madness in the United States is that it lasts three weeks and several rivalries are born,” says the president of Sportsnet.
Hypothetically, a 16-team single-elimination tournament offers 15 games, each one with real stakes. That is an improvement over an eight- or nine-game tournament that doesn’t really start until its second weekend.
We’ll add to that hypothetical. Let’s say the top two teams from each of the three leagues (WHL, OHL, QMJHL) get automatic bids for reaching their respective postseason championship series, plus nine more teams receive at-large bids as selected by a committee (controversy potential!), plus one bid for the host city. Voila, 16 teams. Set the bracket and play.
Is it feasible? Well, that’s for the powers that be to decide. Any big junior hockey fans, feel free to share your comments below.
The 2015 Memorial Cup will be played in Quebec City under the current format.
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 35
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 14
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 94
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (94)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)