Sep 4, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT
Sure, Steven Stamkos is from near Toronto and, yes, he did get busted favoriting a tweet containing a story that spit-balled what it would take to have him go home to play for the Maple Leafs – but he’s just perfectly happy in Tampa playing for the Lightning.
As Erik Erlendsson of the Tampa Tribune shared, Stamkos blamed a slip of the finger for his Twitter faux pas that set all of Toronto on its ear this summer.
“You talk about having a pocket dial, that was a pocket favorite of a tweet,” Stamkos said. “…You press the favorite button by accident and an hour later Twitter blew up. But you live and learn and I’ll be more careful on the favorite button the next time around.”
If that’s the only mistake he ever makes on Twitter, we’re glad it came during the summer when we’re all dying for something interesting to talk about.
Stamkos went on to laud the City of Tampa and said it’s an unbelievable place to play. That’ll go over well with the locals and make folks back in Toronto sigh a bit more wistfully.
In 37 games last season, one interrupted by a gruesome broken leg, he had 40 points including 25 goals. Expect more of that and even more Twitter love for the 24-year-old superstar.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 6
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 16
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 14
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 54
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)