Sep 4, 2014, 10:30 PM EST
Sure, Steven Stamkos is from near Toronto and, yes, he did get busted favoriting a tweet containing a story that spit-balled what it would take to have him go home to play for the Maple Leafs – but he’s just perfectly happy in Tampa playing for the Lightning.
As Erik Erlendsson of the Tampa Tribune shared, Stamkos blamed a slip of the finger for his Twitter faux pas that set all of Toronto on its ear this summer.
“You talk about having a pocket dial, that was a pocket favorite of a tweet,” Stamkos said. “…You press the favorite button by accident and an hour later Twitter blew up. But you live and learn and I’ll be more careful on the favorite button the next time around.”
If that’s the only mistake he ever makes on Twitter, we’re glad it came during the summer when we’re all dying for something interesting to talk about.
Stamkos went on to laud the City of Tampa and said it’s an unbelievable place to play. That’ll go over well with the locals and make folks back in Toronto sigh a bit more wistfully.
In 37 games last season, one interrupted by a gruesome broken leg, he had 40 points including 25 goals. Expect more of that and even more Twitter love for the 24-year-old superstar.
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 0
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 45
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 71
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 55
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 74
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (72)