Rick DiPietro has a new career on sports talk radio

Sep 4, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT

Rick DiPietro Getty Images

You probably haven’t forgotten about Rick DiPietro.

The former New York Islanders goalie was the butt of jokes for a long time due to his 15-year contract and inability to stay healthy, but he’s got a new line of work as Neil Best of Newsday shares. He’s taken his talents to sports talk radio.

“I love it,” DiPietro said. “I’ll do it until they tell me to stop. I would always joke with my wife: ‘Can you imagine if I got a job where I get to talk about sports for a living?’ She was like, ‘I can’t even imagine. You’d love that.’

“This is like a dream come true.”

On top of all that, DiPietro is also now on Twitter (@HDumpty39) and his particular brand of self-deprecating humor shows through in all that he’s doing. He’s even turning into a fan-favorite for all kinds of sports fans with his new career.

While his playing career didn’t turn out the way he or anyone else thought it would, the first overall pick in 2000 at least won’t have to worry about a freak injury behind the mic. Sore throats are a bit easier to treat than wonky knees.

Latest Posts
  1. Ducks clinch Pacific Division title

Apr 2, 2015, 12:46 AM EDT

Ryan Getzlaf, Corey Perry Getty Images

Easily handled the Edmonton Oilers on Wednesday.

2. Malkin out day-to-day with ‘slight injury’

Apr 1, 2015, 11:20 PM EDT

Evgeni Malkin AP

Pittsburgh lost to Philadelphia on Wednesday.

3. Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night

Apr 1, 2015, 10:50 PM EDT

pens_flyers Getty Images

Started off well for Pittsburgh, but got worse from there.

4. WATCH LIVE: Avalanche at Sharks

Apr 1, 2015, 10:12 PM EDT

Both desperately need wins to stay alive in playoff race.

5. Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career

Apr 1, 2015, 8:48 PM EDT

Getty Images

He’s having a “down year,” apparently.

6. ‘My first reaction was, oh my God, my eye is gone,’ says Detroit’s Miller

Apr 1, 2015, 8:18 PM EDT

MillerFace2

Red Wings forward reflects on Tuesday’s scary skate cut incident.

7. Voynov trial pushed back, again

Apr 1, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT

Sasha Voynov Sasha Voynov

Kings defenseman also suffered a ruptured Achilles.

8. WATCH LIVE: Flyers at Penguins on Rivalry Night

Apr 1, 2015, 6:38 PM EDT

crosbygirouxgetty Getty Images

Catch the game on NBCSN, or with NBCSports.com’s Live Extra.

9. After eight-game absence, St. Louis back for Rangers tomorrow

Apr 1, 2015, 6:13 PM EDT

New York Rangers v Tampa Bay Lightning Getty Images

He’ll play on a line with Carl Hagelin and Kevin Hayes.

10. Sharks send Goldobin to AHL Worcester

Apr 1, 2015, 5:26 PM EDT

Nikolay Goldobin Getty Images

Has been playing in Finland this season.

11. Numbers suggest Ducks are playing much better hockey

Apr 1, 2015, 4:24 PM EDT

John Gibson, Francois Beauchemin, Cam Fowler, Simon Despres AP

Certainly better than they were in February.

Can anything stop Tampa Bay?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches