Sep 4, 2014, 9:00 PM EST
You probably haven’t forgotten about Rick DiPietro.
The former New York Islanders goalie was the butt of jokes for a long time due to his 15-year contract and inability to stay healthy, but he’s got a new line of work as Neil Best of Newsday shares. He’s taken his talents to sports talk radio.
“I love it,” DiPietro said. “I’ll do it until they tell me to stop. I would always joke with my wife: ‘Can you imagine if I got a job where I get to talk about sports for a living?’ She was like, ‘I can’t even imagine. You’d love that.’
“This is like a dream come true.”
On top of all that, DiPietro is also now on Twitter (@HDumpty39) and his particular brand of self-deprecating humor shows through in all that he’s doing. He’s even turning into a fan-favorite for all kinds of sports fans with his new career.
While his playing career didn’t turn out the way he or anyone else thought it would, the first overall pick in 2000 at least won’t have to worry about a freak injury behind the mic. Sore throats are a bit easier to treat than wonky knees.
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 1
- Devils fire DeBoer 18
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 16
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)