Pens’ Dupuis can’t feel repaired knee, eager to start season

Sep 4, 2014, 7:45 PM EST

Pascal Dupuis Getty Images

Pascal Dupuis is itchy to start a new season with the Pittsburgh Penguins even if he can’t totally feel his right knee.

Dupuis saw last season cut short after he tore the ACL in his right knee. Now he’s back on the ice preparing for the new season and as Dave Molinari of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette shared, there were some lingering effects from the operation.

“My skin, I don’t have any sensation anymore, on the front, because they cut all the nerves and everything,” Dupuis said Wednesday.

“When I have my equipment on, I’m fine because when I fall, I feel [the shin pad hitting the ice]. But if I don’t have anything on [the knee] and I go to kneel down, I have to think about where I’m at physically, because I don’t feel it when my knee goes down.”

Well that sounds horrible.

While Dupuis injured his knee just before Christmas in 2013, he had his ACL operated on in February. He hasn’t been cleared for contact yet, but hopes to be ready to go soon.

Before he went out, he had seven goals and 20 points in 39 games for the Pens and was the glue on the first line at right wing next to Sidney Crosby. After his injury, a slew of players attempted to fill his skates and failed to keep up. His return to action could be a big lift for Sid and the Pens.