Sep 4, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
You may recall back in January when it was reported that the Winnipeg Jets were on the verge of moving their AHL affiliate from St. John’s, Newfoundland, to Thunder Bay, Ontario.
Well, not so fast. Yesterday, it was announced that the IceCaps will remain the Jets’ farm team through the 2015-16 season.
From the Winnipeg Free Press:
The extension in St. John’s will do two things for the Jets.
In the short term, it will give a boost to the AHL organization there, whose ticket sales were lagging with the reality of the team’s departure at the end of the season coming closer. Every AHL regular-season and playoff game at Mile One Centre, the team’s home, has been sold out since the Jets moved the franchise there.
The other matter for the Jets is it will let them see how things are going to shake out with the expected shift of several AHL franchises for the 2015-16 season. No agreement has been finalized, but a move is underway by west-coast-based NHL clubs to have their affiliates near the west coast and as many as six teams could be playing in an AHL Pacific division by next fall.
Meanwhile, for hockey fans in Newfoundland, as the St. John’s Telegram writes, the deal gives the IceCaps “more time to work a deal and cozy up with another NHL partner.”
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 7
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 19
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 17
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 50
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)