Sep 4, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
Future Hall of Famer Martin Brodeur is still without a team to play for next season and with training camp coming soon, things could get anxious for the 42-year-old.
While it might seem like most teams have their situations in goal figured out, Brodeur was asked by QMI Agency whether he’d consider going to play for his hometown Montreal Canadiens. His answer shouldn’t be too big of a surprise.
“If the Canadiens made me an offer, it goes without saying that I would listen to what they have to offer me,” Brodeur said.
If you’re wondering if this means he’d be itching to take Carey Price‘s job away, it’s not. Brodeur said the Habs are Price’s team and he’d be OK with playing 20-25 games if it meant playing for a Stanley Cup winner.
Of course, Brodeur said he still wants to be a starting goalie but finding a team where he could sneak in and take the job might be difficult.
The question with picking Montreal, however, comes with how both Peter Budaj and Dustin Tokarski would handle that sort of situation. After how Tokarski played in limited NHL duty last season, there’s thought he could push Budaj out of the backup role. Throwing Brodeur into the mix would make that a bit more tricky.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)