Sep 4, 2014, 9:59 AM EDT
How will the Canucks replace Ryan Kesler?
Of all the questions facing Vancouver’s hockey team leading into the 2014-15 NHL season, that may be the biggest one.
Currently, Nick Bonino is slotted into the second-line center spot that Kesler vacated when the former Selke Trophy winner was traded to Anaheim for Bonino, Luca Sbisa and the 24th overall pick in the 2014 draft.
“But replacing (Kesler)? That will be a team thing. We’re going to need guys playing on the PK more than they have before and offensively we need someone stepping up to score those goals.”
Kesler led the Canucks with 25 goals in 2013-14. He also logged 21:48 of ice time per game, second to only Sidney Crosby (21:58) among league forwards.
Management’s hope for Bonino is that he can score 20 goals, something he’s only done once (22 goals in 2013-14) in his NHL career.
“Obviously, there are going to be the comparisons,” said Bonino. “But my game is my game and I’m not going to try and do what someone else did.”
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)