Sep 4, 2014, 9:59 AM EDT
How will the Canucks replace Ryan Kesler?
Of all the questions facing Vancouver’s hockey team leading into the 2014-15 NHL season, that may be the biggest one.
Currently, Nick Bonino is slotted into the second-line center spot that Kesler vacated when the former Selke Trophy winner was traded to Anaheim for Bonino, Luca Sbisa and the 24th overall pick in the 2014 draft.
“But replacing (Kesler)? That will be a team thing. We’re going to need guys playing on the PK more than they have before and offensively we need someone stepping up to score those goals.”
Kesler led the Canucks with 25 goals in 2013-14. He also logged 21:48 of ice time per game, second to only Sidney Crosby (21:58) among league forwards.
Management’s hope for Bonino is that he can score 20 goals, something he’s only done once (22 goals in 2013-14) in his NHL career.
“Obviously, there are going to be the comparisons,” said Bonino. “But my game is my game and I’m not going to try and do what someone else did.”
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 1
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 2
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 33
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)