Sep 3, 2014, 7:07 PM EDT
If a report from Czech website Hokej.cz is correct, David Krejci will carry the biggest salary cap hit of any Boston Bruins player during the 2015-16 season. WEEI’s DJ Bean reports that it’s a six-year, $43.5 million deal with Krejci’s management providing similar information to Hokej.cz.
TSN’s Aaron Ward has some additional potential details regarding the extension:
In the event that this is true – CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty points out that neither Krejci nor the Bruins have confirmed it, but also notes that it’s a reasonable possibility – Krejci’s $7.17-$7.25 million cap hit would slightly edge that of Tuukka Rask ($7 million), Zdeno Chara ($6.917 million) and Patrice Bergeron ($6.5 million).
One way or another, the cost won’t be seen right away; the 28-year-old’s current contract carries a $5.25 million cap hit in 2014-15. According to Cap Geek’s numbers, the Bruins will have about $54 million in cap payroll committed to just 11 players in 2014-15, which would translate to about $15 million in cap space if the ceiling remains at $69 million (it probably will be quite a bit higher, but you never know).
However Krejci’s exact contract shakes out, this will also inevitably bring about references to Tyler Seguin‘s trade and subsequent breakout year, whether that’s really fair to Krejci or not.
There are plenty of people who are more focused on Krejci making more than Bergeron, Chara and Rask, too.
However, if you merely look outside of comparisons heaped upon the talented center, it’s clear that he’s earned a hefty extension, even if you can quibble about the price. He’s generally been a strong two-way player and topped the playoffs in points in 2013 with 26 in 22 games and 23 points in 25 games during Boston’s championship run in 2011. (Naturally, his last postseason go-around didn’t go quite as well.)
The reality of the cap-era NHL is that plenty of useful players get disparaged because their output doesn’t match sometimes-lofty salaries. Krejci could face quite a burden in that area if these reports are correct, yet he’s done an awful lot for Boston in his career.
Sep 20, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT
Discussions regarding deal are on-going.
Sep 20, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
Experimentation process has begun as team looks for secondary scoring.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
Stars searching for a suitable No. 2 behind Kari Lehtonen.
Sep 20, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
After playing in just 16 games in 2013-14, he’s looking to be a contributor this season.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT
Undrafted defenseman looking to make an impression at camp.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets would settle for far less after he scored just 19 last season.
Sep 19, 2014, 10:03 PM EDT
The last thing he wants is to suffer a setback by rushing his recovery.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:37 PM EDT
That’s not the only summer statement he took exception to.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:04 PM EDT
Bob Suter was a defenseman on the “Miracle on Ice” team.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:02 PM EDT
That usually doesn’t end well, but this might be an exception.
Sep 19, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT
He suffered three concussions in under a year.
Sep 19, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
It’s part of the reason why the defenseman is playing for Washington.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT
He suffered a concussion last season.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:17 PM EDT
Greg Sherman stayed on as his assistant.
Sep 19, 2014, 3:33 PM EDT
He’s not the only member of the Ducks that’s hurting.
Sep 19, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Held out of Kings’ on-ice activities on Friday.
Sep 19, 2014, 2:06 PM EDT
“We’re a cap team now, despite us being in the bottom five of the league in ticket revenue.”
Sep 19, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Flyers captain currently being evaluated.
Sep 19, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT
“We have two NHL centermen right now,” said Dallas Eakins.
Sep 19, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT
Just like they did last year.
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 0
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 10
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)