Sep 3, 2014, 9:05 AM EDT
Danny DeKeyser is one of the best players left in the restricted free agent pool. Detroit has had all summer to work something out with the 24-year-old defenseman who averaged 21:38 minutes per game last season, but so far the two sides have come up short.
DeKeyser seemed confident in July, insisting that a deal would be done by the start of training camp and that “there won’t be any problems.” A couple weeks later he spoke about his desire to sign a long-term contract and said the two sides were “just kind of going back and forth.”
Detroit’s training camp scheduled to start in a little over two weeks, but DeKeyser is still optimistic.
“I’m pretty confident,” DeKeyser told the Detroit News. “We haven’t talked in in about a week or two, but we’ll talk again here soon and hopefully get something worked out.”
After a relatively quiet summer in Detroit, the Red Wings should have enough cap flexibility to work something out based on Cap Geek’s numbers and the expectation is still that the two sides will agree to terms. As is the case with all restricted free agents at this point though, the fact that he remains unsigned is noteworthy.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (97)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)