Sep 3, 2014, 9:05 AM EDT
Danny DeKeyser is one of the best players left in the restricted free agent pool. Detroit has had all summer to work something out with the 24-year-old defenseman who averaged 21:38 minutes per game last season, but so far the two sides have come up short.
DeKeyser seemed confident in July, insisting that a deal would be done by the start of training camp and that “there won’t be any problems.” A couple weeks later he spoke about his desire to sign a long-term contract and said the two sides were “just kind of going back and forth.”
Detroit’s training camp scheduled to start in a little over two weeks, but DeKeyser is still optimistic.
“I’m pretty confident,” DeKeyser told the Detroit News. “We haven’t talked in in about a week or two, but we’ll talk again here soon and hopefully get something worked out.”
After a relatively quiet summer in Detroit, the Red Wings should have enough cap flexibility to work something out based on Cap Geek’s numbers and the expectation is still that the two sides will agree to terms. As is the case with all restricted free agents at this point though, the fact that he remains unsigned is noteworthy.
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 0
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 2
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 24
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 2
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 8
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)