Sep 3, 2014, 9:05 AM EST
Danny DeKeyser is one of the best players left in the restricted free agent pool. Detroit has had all summer to work something out with the 24-year-old defenseman who averaged 21:38 minutes per game last season, but so far the two sides have come up short.
DeKeyser seemed confident in July, insisting that a deal would be done by the start of training camp and that “there won’t be any problems.” A couple weeks later he spoke about his desire to sign a long-term contract and said the two sides were “just kind of going back and forth.”
Detroit’s training camp scheduled to start in a little over two weeks, but DeKeyser is still optimistic.
“I’m pretty confident,” DeKeyser told the Detroit News. “We haven’t talked in in about a week or two, but we’ll talk again here soon and hopefully get something worked out.”
After a relatively quiet summer in Detroit, the Red Wings should have enough cap flexibility to work something out based on Cap Geek’s numbers and the expectation is still that the two sides will agree to terms. As is the case with all restricted free agents at this point though, the fact that he remains unsigned is noteworthy.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)