Sep 3, 2014, 9:05 AM EDT
Danny DeKeyser is one of the best players left in the restricted free agent pool. Detroit has had all summer to work something out with the 24-year-old defenseman who averaged 21:38 minutes per game last season, but so far the two sides have come up short.
DeKeyser seemed confident in July, insisting that a deal would be done by the start of training camp and that “there won’t be any problems.” A couple weeks later he spoke about his desire to sign a long-term contract and said the two sides were “just kind of going back and forth.”
Detroit’s training camp scheduled to start in a little over two weeks, but DeKeyser is still optimistic.
“I’m pretty confident,” DeKeyser told the Detroit News. “We haven’t talked in in about a week or two, but we’ll talk again here soon and hopefully get something worked out.”
After a relatively quiet summer in Detroit, the Red Wings should have enough cap flexibility to work something out based on Cap Geek’s numbers and the expectation is still that the two sides will agree to terms. As is the case with all restricted free agents at this point though, the fact that he remains unsigned is noteworthy.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 0
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 11
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)