Sep 3, 2014, 9:37 AM EDT
Ottawa Police have issued a statement denying they had any dealings with Pittsburgh Penguins captain Sidney Crosby following reports of his arrest in the Canadian capital. From the department’s Twitter account:
— Ottawa Police Media (@OttpoliceMedia) September 3, 2014
The statement came after an early-morning report from a parent company of the Ottawa Sun, the QMI Agency (the story has since been pulled). Per Puck Daddy, here’s the original copy:
Pittsburgh Penguins centre Sidney Crosby was arrested by Ottawa Police late Tuesday while driving a rented Porsche, sources have told QMI Agency.
Reasons of his arrest were unknown, but appear to be driving related.
Sources say Crosby was taken to the Ottawa police headquarters on Elgin street for fingerprinting and a mugshot. It is unknown at this time why the NHL star was in Ottawa.
Ottawa Police have been unable to be reached for comment.
The Canadian Press was able to reach the Ottawa Police, however, and according to the CP the duty desk said Crosby’s arrest “never happened.”
The story of Crosby’s arrest was strange to begin with, and became even stranger following this tweet from TSN’s Darren Dreger:
Penguins confirm, Crosby is in Vail, Colorado training this week.
— Darren Dreger (@DarrenDreger) September 3, 2014
Still no word on how the original arrest story came to be in the first place.
Update 1: The Penguins have released the following statement…
“The Pittsburgh Penguins have spoken to Sidney Crosby. He is not in Canada, and was not in Canada yesterday. He is continuing his training in preparation for training camp.”
Update 2: QMI has issued an apology/retraction for its original story…
Earlier today, QMI Agency reported that Pittsburgh Penguins centre Sidney Crosby was arrested by Ottawa Police late Tuesday on driving-related charges.
There was no basis for the story and QMI unreservedly retracts the story in its entirety.
QMI regrets the error.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 0
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 31
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)