Sep 2, 2014, 11:18 AM EST
Three key contributors that missed all of Boston’s postseason are back in action.
Defensemen Dennis Seidenberg (torn ACL) and Adam McQuaid (ankle), along with veteran forward Chris Kelly (back), all took part in Tuesday’s informal practice at Ristuccia Arena — the team’s first on-ice session in preparation for training camp, which opens on Sept. 18.
The most intriguing story of the three is Seidenberg. The 33-year-old rearguard suffered his season-ending knee injury late last December but rehabbed furiously following surgery and, after Boston’s second-round elimination to Montreal, said he would’ve tried to play had the B’s advanced to the Eastern Conference final.
The German blueliner now says he’ll be ready for camp.
As for Kelly and McQuaid, they too are rallying back from surgeries. Kelly underwent a procedure to fix a herniated disc in his back, an issue that ended what was a injury-plagued 2013-14 campaign; prior to the back injury, Kelly missed 22 games with a fractured right fibula.
McQuaid, meanwhile, missed Boston’s last 34 regular season and all 12 playoff games with ankle problems. He underwent surgery to correct the issue in early May and was given a timetable of eight weeks for recovery.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 1
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 25
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 6
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 85
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (85)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)