Sep 2, 2014, 11:18 AM EDT
Three key contributors that missed all of Boston’s postseason are back in action.
Defensemen Dennis Seidenberg (torn ACL) and Adam McQuaid (ankle), along with veteran forward Chris Kelly (back), all took part in Tuesday’s informal practice at Ristuccia Arena — the team’s first on-ice session in preparation for training camp, which opens on Sept. 18.
The most intriguing story of the three is Seidenberg. The 33-year-old rearguard suffered his season-ending knee injury late last December but rehabbed furiously following surgery and, after Boston’s second-round elimination to Montreal, said he would’ve tried to play had the B’s advanced to the Eastern Conference final.
The German blueliner now says he’ll be ready for camp.
As for Kelly and McQuaid, they too are rallying back from surgeries. Kelly underwent a procedure to fix a herniated disc in his back, an issue that ended what was a injury-plagued 2013-14 campaign; prior to the back injury, Kelly missed 22 games with a fractured right fibula.
McQuaid, meanwhile, missed Boston’s last 34 regular season and all 12 playoff games with ankle problems. He underwent surgery to correct the issue in early May and was given a timetable of eight weeks for recovery.
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 6
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 21
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 22
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)