Sep 2, 2014, 11:18 AM EST
Three key contributors that missed all of Boston’s postseason are back in action.
Defensemen Dennis Seidenberg (torn ACL) and Adam McQuaid (ankle), along with veteran forward Chris Kelly (back), all took part in Tuesday’s informal practice at Ristuccia Arena — the team’s first on-ice session in preparation for training camp, which opens on Sept. 18.
The most intriguing story of the three is Seidenberg. The 33-year-old rearguard suffered his season-ending knee injury late last December but rehabbed furiously following surgery and, after Boston’s second-round elimination to Montreal, said he would’ve tried to play had the B’s advanced to the Eastern Conference final.
The German blueliner now says he’ll be ready for camp.
As for Kelly and McQuaid, they too are rallying back from surgeries. Kelly underwent a procedure to fix a herniated disc in his back, an issue that ended what was a injury-plagued 2013-14 campaign; prior to the back injury, Kelly missed 22 games with a fractured right fibula.
McQuaid, meanwhile, missed Boston’s last 34 regular season and all 12 playoff games with ankle problems. He underwent surgery to correct the issue in early May and was given a timetable of eight weeks for recovery.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 45
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 72
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 20
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 55
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 74
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (72)