Rinaldo signs two-year extension with Flyers (Updated)

Sep 2, 2014, 4:05 PM EDT

Zac Rinaldo Getty Images

The Philadelphia Flyers have announced that Zac Rinaldo has inked a two-year extension.

The team didn’t release the financial terms, but Rinaldo still has a season left on his two-year, $1.5 million contract. He would have been a restricted free agent next summer.

Updated: His new deal will come with a $850,000 annual cap hit, according to Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston.

ā€œIā€™m surprised that we even starting to talk about it so early but I am thrilled,” said Rinaldo. “Philadelphia is where I started my NHL career and this is where I want to be so I am really happy. This definitely gives me a lot of confidence by the Flyers showing that they have confidence in me. I know they want to see me get better as a player and this is the place to do it.ā€

Rinaldo has established himself as a physical, bottom-six forward with the club. The 24-year-old had four points and 153 penalty minutes in 67 contests in 2013-14. He also ranked 11th among NHL forwards with 231 hits.

1. lowenni - Sep 2, 2014 at 4:08 PM

Pretty sure he wouldn’t be an NHL player if not for his extremely agitating qualities…but he certainly does have those qualities. There are really few guys in the league I hate as much as Rinaldo. With that being said, that means he’s doing his job right, and that’s why the flyers signed him to an extension.

….d*uchebag.

• mcphillthy - Sep 2, 2014 at 9:45 PM

It’s nice to hear fans who are intelligent and honest. I admit I would rather pay him more than have to play against him.

• biasedhomer - Sep 3, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Rinaldo is complete garbage. A liability to both his team and other players.

• mackattack29 - Sep 2, 2014 at 11:01 PM

Marchand, Lucic and Roussell all come to mind as significantly worse douchb*gs…

2. jpelle82 - Sep 2, 2014 at 4:13 PM

boo. hate the prospect of at least 2 more years of him wrecking guys on my favorite team 5-6 times a year.

3. steelpenbucs87 - Sep 2, 2014 at 4:17 PM

I want to preface this by saying that this isn’t a knock on Rinaldo because he’s a Flyer, but rather a knock on all teams that extend Enforcers/Agitators. I do not, for the life of me, understand why in the hell you give any guy like Rinaldo an extension of any kind when all 30 teams have AHLers who are happy to talk some trash, pitch in a couple of hits and fights, while being a complete and utter blackhole otherwise. The best part – they do it for $550K per year.

• hockey412 - Sep 2, 2014 at 4:23 PM

To be honest I didn’t see it until last year, but I did see it. I think he’s got some glaring weaknesses with his intelligence ala Matt Cooke, but I did see what he was adding. Payerl doesn’t seem much different, I’m hoping he comes up this year for the Pens.

• steelpenbucs87 - Sep 2, 2014 at 4:28 PM

My add would be Zach Sill in that regard, but its all the same. Pay a guy $550K to throw his body around, run his trap, fight a couple guys and finish the year -10. I can live with that for $550K. If Rinaldo is getting close to or over $1M I feel like that’s a waste for them or any team.

• jpelle82 - Sep 2, 2014 at 4:28 PM

not a lot of those ahl guys you speak of can match his speed or heart, plus he can do this!

• steelpenbucs87 - Sep 2, 2014 at 4:47 PM

I can’t tell if you’re kidding or not. If you are, well good on you.

If you aren’t… you pulled one highlight from a preseason game 3 years ago as evidence that he is something more than a replacement level player. I would argue that you can get an AHLer to get you 2 Goals 2 Assists and a -13 over 67 games for (likely) half the price.

• ibieiniid - Sep 2, 2014 at 4:53 PM

…his argument is heart and speed…. which he has plenty of both of.

• ibieiniid - Sep 2, 2014 at 4:55 PM

and both of you ignored the checking numbers on…. the checking line.

• ibieiniid - Sep 2, 2014 at 4:56 PM

…………………….sorry…………… for the ellipses.

• steelpenbucs87 - Sep 2, 2014 at 5:12 PM

I was mostly referring to the video he added – which is why I wasn’t sure if he is kidding.

To be honest with you though, “heart” and speed are not as rare as people like to believe, especially in absence of skill (as is the case with Rinaldo). There are tons of burners in the AHL and numerous other also-ran leagues who will find the heart if it means a chance to play in the NHL…. (that ellipses was for you ;-) ) and they will do it for $550K.

• steelpenbucs87 - Sep 2, 2014 at 5:13 PM

Also checks or hits stats are notoriously unreliable to the point where they are essentially meaningless. Different teams track them different ways, and no one takes them seriously.

• billiam55 - Sep 2, 2014 at 5:17 PM

can score once a year?

• jpelle82 - Sep 3, 2014 at 9:36 AM

yeah i was being facetious about the goal thing but all truth when referring to his feet and heart

4. dipspit55 - Sep 2, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Wait I thought the flyers got rid of the ice girls

• ibieiniid - Sep 2, 2014 at 4:42 PM

…says a man not looking Rinaldo in the face.

• mcphillthy - Sep 2, 2014 at 6:28 PM

If this many people hate him then you know he is doing his job on the ice. Good signing by the flyers.
        I can see why some people doubt the signing but who is going to take a run at giroux or coots when you know rinaldo will be coming for you afterwards?
        Talk all the crap you want but rinaldo is an absolute beast with his hits. And he will fight anyone and agitate the other team. Plus heads are on a swivel when he is on the ice.
        I would rather pay him 800k than have to play against him. He is worth every penny

5. ibieiniid - Sep 2, 2014 at 4:45 PM

I don’t really prefer this extension. I think last year was a downhill one (yes, I’m of the minority that thinks Rinaldo had uphill years). I didn’t see a whole lot. Would have rather locked Adam Hall back up for a year despite the center depth than re-upping Rinaldo for 2 years.

• mcphillthy - Sep 2, 2014 at 6:31 PM

I think laughton makes the leap this year and they needed to lose a center. I loved Adam hall on the fourth line but not if it means holding laughton back again. Someone had to go. But Adam hall will be missed on the PK and face offs

6. billiam55 - Sep 2, 2014 at 5:16 PM

useless player.

• phillyphanatic77 - Sep 2, 2014 at 5:25 PM

And you’re not the least bit biased.

7. broadstreetbeatdown - Sep 2, 2014 at 5:31 PM

Good re-up. Rinaldo does his job well.

• mcphillthy - Sep 2, 2014 at 6:32 PM

Damn right. Glad to have him on our side

8. puckmepuckyou - Sep 2, 2014 at 5:34 PM

I am kind of on the fence with this extension. Rinaldo brings a fire to the bench that really is lacking on the Flyers. Yet I have to agree that there are plenty of AHL ers that can do the job for less money. I also feel that every team needs a guy who will knock your head off if you take liberties with the scorers and ZR brought that. Hextall is a bright guy and I think I’ll give him the benefit of doubt and go with it.

9. phtjoey - Sep 2, 2014 at 6:24 PM

his signing and that of Ryan White’s is great news for all EC teams. these 2 players combined had 4Gs, 6As, and were -21 in 119 games. flyers top 6 Fs are no more than ok, but their bottom 6 Fs are just not good enough to give this team some depth. that combined with a weak d core will give their fans, coaches and mason heartburn. it will be a dog fight to make the playoffs.

• flyboystransport - Sep 2, 2014 at 6:36 PM

Ryan white won’t make the team but if he does is he really a downgrade from hall?

• phtjoey - Sep 2, 2014 at 6:46 PM

regardless… the flyers are not strong enough to have 2 agitators. you have one who can play that role during the 82 game schedule, and then his role is greatly diminished in the playoffs. now the flyers have two agitators?????? no good

• phillyphanatic77 - Sep 2, 2014 at 7:22 PM

If Ryan White makes this team he’d be replacing Adam Hall’s offensive production… it’s such a step backwards to lose those 9 pts! Gimme a break man. The Flyers can expect more offense from Brayden Schenn (20 goals last yr), Couturier (13), and Raffl (9). They have an elite #1 center in Giroux, two 60+ pt producers in Voracek and Simmonds, and 20 goal scorers like Read and Lecavalier. Plus Umberger who put up 18 last season (just 2 less than Hartnell). This team will score goals. Adding Ryan White and resigning Rinaldo doesn’t suddenly make them offensively inept.

• phtjoey - Sep 2, 2014 at 7:27 PM

you’re right… they are not suddenly offensive inept…. like I said, their bottom 6 Fs are no better this year than they were last year….

• mcphillthy - Sep 2, 2014 at 9:39 PM

So coots and read are a poor third line? Are you serious? Philly has an extremely talented top 9.
        And who has a fantastic fourth line beside LA?
        The fourth like is also an energy line and they just signed a guy who does a great guy who does that and does a really good job of doing that. Since when have fourth line guys been expected to score?
        Philly has a great top 9. Not the best in the NHL but it’s not far behind

• phtjoey - Sep 2, 2014 at 10:56 PM

I don’t disagree with you. Their bottom six as a group is not deep enough.

• mcphillthy - Sep 2, 2014 at 11:17 PM

Yeah I don’t disagree that there are more complete teams but the flyers are really setting up for bigger things in four to five years when our young D mature and have a couple years in the NHL.
        I’m not too worried about the bottom six yet. I’m just happy to have rinaldo to keep our star players a little bit safer.

• broadstreetbeatdown - Sep 2, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Just like last year, right toolbox? You’re brain function is “no more than ok”.

• ibieiniid - Sep 3, 2014 at 8:39 AM

his Flyers bit is so tired. I, for one, have been reading it for a year and a half. he never says anything different yet thinks we wanna hear it over and over and over.

• phtjoey - Sep 3, 2014 at 9:08 AM

ibieiniid, That’s only because the flyers haven’t improved their d and bottom 6 Fs. Their biggest improvement has been between the pipes. maybe you should read mcphil… Setting up for bigger things. Now there’s a concept that seems to elude you.

• ibieiniid - Sep 3, 2014 at 10:41 AM

so your response to me was to repeat it again. I know your opinion. you don’t have to keep telling it to me.

my opinion varies from yours in that our bottom 6 hasn’t changed, but they’re young players, and they’re getting older… and last year wasn’t a bad one for them. I could just repeat what mcphilthy said about our 3rd line… but you’d ignore it again. that’s what’s different this year though. you know what development is, correct? they’re developing, not changing. if they were doing the opposite, you’d hate on them for that too. it’s so f’ing tired dude. never a positive to say. always the same exact negative statement over and over.

“it’s gonna be a dog fight to get into the playoffs.” oh, really? that’s what the regular season IS, right? ya. thanks for that great insight. the things you find to complain about are laughable. they aren’t strong enough to have 2 agitators. and even when it’s brought to your attn that one of them will most likely be in the AHL, you move your goalposts and say something equivalent to “even so…”

• ibieiniid - Sep 3, 2014 at 10:45 AM

oh, and once again, you lose all credibility as far as the Flyers go when you say “flyers top 6 Fs are no more than OK.” lol tell that to all of the top 6’s 20-goal scorers. what other team had that last year? so again, shut your stupid, uninformed, biased mouth and go back to talking about things you know… like cleaning jocks with your mouth.

• phtjoey - Sep 3, 2014 at 12:06 PM

lol, chill! it’s just hockey. BTW, the better teams will NOT be in a dog fight to make the playoffs. they’ll actually use the regular season to fine tune the machine for the playoffs.

BTW, you’re right. their top six is better than just ok.

you really gotta stop with the name calling though.

10. flyboystransport - Sep 2, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Ok beyond him annoying the hell out of other teams (and their fans….see above), he ia hard worker on the boards, a great forechecker and one of if not the best open ice hitters in the league. Totally ok with this

11. buysamadrink - Sep 2, 2014 at 7:48 PM

That can’t be an actual Rinaldo quote in this article. He’s only capable of stringing together a series of grunts, snorts and clicking sounds…

• sndflyers - Sep 2, 2014 at 8:54 PM

Swing and a miss

• mcphillthy - Sep 2, 2014 at 9:42 PM

Possibly hit by the pitch, too. He seems injured

12. crazemastercraze - Sep 2, 2014 at 11:05 PM

Flyers fans love every signing!

• ibieiniid - Sep 3, 2014 at 8:40 AM

not one other mention of the word “love” on here jacka**.

• ibieiniid - Sep 3, 2014 at 9:18 AM

ya you can thumb me down if you want, but I see one distinctively positive evaluation of this signing above. several flyers fans on the fence, and me who doesn’t really like the signing. baseless is a word for your comment.

• phtjoey - Sep 3, 2014 at 12:46 PM

i come to this site to write (free speech) my opinion, and not to stroke flyers or any other team’s fans. i call it is at is. if my comments upset you to the point where you resort to name calling, then i suggest you consider not reading my comments. just read from posters who think like you and you’ll be just fine.

• ibieiniid - Sep 3, 2014 at 12:50 PM

ya and my opinion is equally valid. I can point out the idiocy of your comments just like you can point out whatever falsity you’re talking about today… oh wait, it’s the exact same one you were talking about yesterday. you’re boring as f***, that’s all I’m saying.

lol chill! it’s just a comment.

• phtjoey - Sep 3, 2014 at 1:37 PM

Hahahaha. Ok mr. Excitement. Like I said. Spare yourself the rise in blood pressure. Cheer for another team or stop reading my posts. LOL!

Cheers and Godspeed. Go Flyers.

13. mackattack29 - Sep 2, 2014 at 11:08 PM

I like him. Then again I’m an Avs fan so I’m not generally given too many games to hate him by.

14. mebailey700 - Sep 3, 2014 at 9:19 AM

I really have no problem with this signing. He brings a lot of energy to the ice and seems to have learned how to play with a little more discipline.

15. kastout11 - Sep 3, 2014 at 1:38 PM

I like Rinaldo, and I think it was a good signing. He brings a ton of energy to a team that doesn’t always bring it the way they should. Yeah, he is not gifted offensively, but I also noticed that he draws a lot of penalties for guys that choose to relaliate. He does cross the line sometimes with lack of discipline penalties, but I think he improved on that a little last year. Even though he did draw that suspension at the end of the year last year. I thought he actually played well when he was on the Giroux line last year for a few shifts at the end of the season. He opens up the ice for G. If he weren’t so undisciplined, I would consider putting him at wing on the Giroux line, but he is too inconsistent and I don’t really trust him yet.

Illegal hits are down -- but will it last?

Top 10 NHL Player Searches