Sep 2, 2014, 4:05 PM EST
The team didn’t release the financial terms, but Rinaldo still has a season left on his two-year, $1.5 million contract. He would have been a restricted free agent next summer.
Updated: His new deal will come with a $850,000 annual cap hit, according to Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston.
“I’m surprised that we even starting to talk about it so early but I am thrilled,” said Rinaldo. “Philadelphia is where I started my NHL career and this is where I want to be so I am really happy. This definitely gives me a lot of confidence by the Flyers showing that they have confidence in me. I know they want to see me get better as a player and this is the place to do it.”
Rinaldo has established himself as a physical, bottom-six forward with the club. The 24-year-old had four points and 153 penalty minutes in 67 contests in 2013-14. He also ranked 11th among NHL forwards with 231 hits.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)