Sep 2, 2014, 9:15 AM EDT
Rather than make a big free agent plunge this summer, the Detroit Red Wings settled for re-signing players like Kyle Quincey and Jonas Gustavsson. That might not be the most exciting way of doing things, but GM Ken Holland told the Detroit News that it all comes back to his philosophy about building through the draft.
“We need to draft. We need to develop. We need to have patience,” Holland said.
Holland admitted that the Red Wings aren’t currently viewed as a top contender, which is part of the reason why they didn’t land one of the “small clusters of those individuals available” in free agency.
In the short term, Holland repeatedly pointed to the possibility that the Red Wings might enjoy better luck with injuries. Even so, development was a big part of his pitch to the Detroit News, which makes more sense when you consider this outlook:
“Three years from now, there will be a brand new rink,” Holland said. “Our ownership has always been committed to doing to the cap. I have the green light from our ownership to spend to the cap.
“I think it’s a great time for the league. I think it’s a great time for the Detroit Red Wings.”
It almost sounds like he’s saying that the times will only get better as the years go on, yet a healthier Red Wings team could very well be dangerous in 2014-15.
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- The King is back: Lundqvist starts for Rangers Saturday 3
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 16
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 58
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)