Sep 2, 2014, 9:15 AM EST
Rather than make a big free agent plunge this summer, the Detroit Red Wings settled for re-signing players like Kyle Quincey and Jonas Gustavsson. That might not be the most exciting way of doing things, but GM Ken Holland told the Detroit News that it all comes back to his philosophy about building through the draft.
“We need to draft. We need to develop. We need to have patience,” Holland said.
Holland admitted that the Red Wings aren’t currently viewed as a top contender, which is part of the reason why they didn’t land one of the “small clusters of those individuals available” in free agency.
In the short term, Holland repeatedly pointed to the possibility that the Red Wings might enjoy better luck with injuries. Even so, development was a big part of his pitch to the Detroit News, which makes more sense when you consider this outlook:
“Three years from now, there will be a brand new rink,” Holland said. “Our ownership has always been committed to doing to the cap. I have the green light from our ownership to spend to the cap.
“I think it’s a great time for the league. I think it’s a great time for the Detroit Red Wings.”
It almost sounds like he’s saying that the times will only get better as the years go on, yet a healthier Red Wings team could very well be dangerous in 2014-15.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 53
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 69
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (142)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)