Sep 2, 2014, 6:35 PM EST
Jonathan Quick is obviously a lock to start the season as the Los Angeles Kings’ number one goaltender, but the backup job might still be open. Martin Jones, 24, is projected to win the roster spot after posting a 1.81 GAA and .934 save percentage in 19 games last season, but he’ll have some extra competition after Jeff Deslauriers accepted a training camp invite, per LA Kings Insider.
Deslauriers has 62 NHL games under his belt, but he hasn’t played at the top level since the 2011-12 campaign. The 30-year-old goaltender had a 2.58 GAA and .895 save percentage in 40 AHL contests with the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins last season.
If Deslauriers isn’t able to secure a roster spot with the Kings, then he might still sign with them to serve in the AHL and provide the franchise with another potential injury replacement if Jones or Quick end up on the sidelines.
As is always the case with training camp invites, it’s also entirely possible that Deslauriers won’t end up sticking with Los Angeles’ organization. The Kings invited Mathieu Garon to training camp in 2013 so that he could compete with Ben Scrivens for the backup job, but after Garon lost the battle, he was released from his tryout agreement.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 23
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 21
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 66
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (133)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (66)