Sep 2, 2014, 10:48 PM EDT
Sean Couturier is just 21 years old and he’s already firmly established himself with Philadelphia as a defensive center, but Flyers GM Ron Hextall believes they’re just scratching the surface of what he’s capable of accomplishing.
After Couturier scored just 13 goals and 39 points in 82 games last season, he’ll be counted on to play a bigger role offensively.
“Our biggest upside is up front with Brayden [Schenn] and Sean,” Hextall told CSN Philly. “Sean, you love what he does, the unselfishness, the team first, loving the challenge of playing against the other team’s top line. That’s awesome stuff.
“Typically, a young player learns the defensive part after the offensive part. Coots in juniors was equally good on offense as defense, but up here, obviously, his defensive game is ahead of his offensive game. There’s another level.”
Hextall spoke to Couturier about that over the summer and has made it clear that his expectations for Couturier have increased now that the forward has 205 NHL games under his belt.
Couturier is entering the first season of his two-year, $3.5 million bridge deal. How he develops offensively will play a big role in determining what his next contract will look like.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)