Sep 2, 2014, 3:40 PM EST
Pavel Datsyuk is about to start a three-year, $22.5 million contract with the Detroit Red Wings, so it’s reasonable to believe that the 36-year-old forward isn’t leaving the NHL in the near future. However, Datsyuk still hasn’t closed the door on playing for the KHL’s Avtomobilist Yekaterinburg before he hangs up his skates.
“It is hard to talk about it now,” Datsyuk told the Russian publication Sportbox, per the Detroit Free Press. “My dream is to play for the (KHL team) remains, but (I have to) look at how the rest of my hockey career (goes).”
That quote comes at a time when KHL president Alex Medvedev is hinting that Russian stars might depart the NHL in the not too distant future. When Sport-Express.ru asked about Alex Ovechkin and Evgeni Malkin specifically, Medvedev suggested “there might be good surprises in a year,” according to Sports.ru’s Igor Eronko.
Of course, it’s not that simple given that Ovechkin and Malkin are under contract with Washington and Pittsburgh respectively. As we discussed in April, the KHL-NHL memorandum of understanding would require that Ovechkin or Malkin to negotiate out of their NHL contracts before they could sign in the KHL. That memorandum of understanding was recently extended, although Medvedev’s quote becomes a bit more ominous when you consider that the agreement is now set to expire on June 30, 2015.
It’s also worth adding that Ovechkin has also previously shrugged off the idea that he would leave Washington.
If nothing else, it wouldn’t be shocking if some or all of them decided to finish their careers in the KHL once their playing days are winding down and their existing NHL contracts are completed. It’s something Teemu Selanne has considered doing at the age of 44 and he wouldn’t be the first one to take that route.
Nov 27, 2014, 10:50 PM EST
Shea Weber covered the puck in the crease.
Nov 27, 2014, 10:35 PM EST
Flyers play host to the Rangers Friday afternoon.
Nov 27, 2014, 9:30 PM EST
Was a healthy scratch in nine games.
Nov 27, 2014, 8:30 PM EST
X-rays on knee cap came back negative.
Nov 27, 2014, 7:30 PM EST
Struggled in the American Hockey League this season.
Nov 27, 2014, 6:30 PM EST
Expected to formally announce his retirement next Thursday morning.
Nov 27, 2014, 5:15 PM EST
Talented center would be a prized pickup at the deadline.
Nov 27, 2014, 4:00 PM EST
Patrick Roy doesn’t own part of a junior team anymore.
Nov 27, 2014, 2:41 PM EST
Incident occurred during Wednesday’s Jets-Sabres game.
Nov 27, 2014, 2:27 PM EST
Linden Vey gets back into the lineup for tomorrow’s game in Columbus.
Nov 27, 2014, 2:12 PM EST
Dallas forward has history as a repeat offender.
Nov 27, 2014, 2:03 PM EST
That’s a picture of Shawn Thornton, who doesn’t play for them anymore.
Nov 27, 2014, 1:59 PM EST
Just two goals in 20 games this year.
Nov 27, 2014, 1:16 PM EST
Devils currently sit 12th in the Eastern Conference.
Nov 27, 2014, 12:29 PM EST
Played in 14 games over parts of the last three seasons.
Nov 27, 2014, 12:17 PM EST
Following Tuesday’s “mind-numbing” change in Dallas.
Nov 27, 2014, 12:02 PM EST
Big boost for Nashville, who hosts Edmonton tonight.
Nov 27, 2014, 11:44 AM EST
That’s the feeling, at least.
Nov 27, 2014, 11:18 AM EST
Florida’s No. 1 left Wednesday’s game early.
Nov 27, 2014, 11:10 AM EST
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)