Aug 31, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
Barry Trotz will try to steer the Washington Capitals to a Stanley Cup championship, but he hasn’t turned a blind eye to the Nashville Predators in the process. He continued to follow the team he coached for 15 years after they fired him in May and naturally has opinions on the moves they’ve made — he’s just not sharing them.
What he is willing to make clear though is that the Predators are still important to him even as he makes a point to keep some distance between him and the team’s personnel.
“(Predators GM David Poile) and the people who are there will always be friends. But I think there needs to be some separation right now so everybody can come in there and be comfortable,” Trotz told the Tennessean. “I’ll be cheering like crazy for them because I want them to be successful.”
New Predators head coach Peter Laviolette will be tasked with bolstering the team’s offense after they averaged 2.61 goals per game in 2013-14. To help him do that, Poile acquired James Neal and signed Mike Ribeiro, Derek Roy, and Olli Jokinen. Meanwhile, Trotz will try to prove that he’s more than just a defensive-minded coach and he’s capable of getting the most out of Alex Ovechkin.
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 2
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)