Aug 31, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
Barry Trotz will try to steer the Washington Capitals to a Stanley Cup championship, but he hasn’t turned a blind eye to the Nashville Predators in the process. He continued to follow the team he coached for 15 years after they fired him in May and naturally has opinions on the moves they’ve made — he’s just not sharing them.
What he is willing to make clear though is that the Predators are still important to him even as he makes a point to keep some distance between him and the team’s personnel.
“(Predators GM David Poile) and the people who are there will always be friends. But I think there needs to be some separation right now so everybody can come in there and be comfortable,” Trotz told the Tennessean. “I’ll be cheering like crazy for them because I want them to be successful.”
New Predators head coach Peter Laviolette will be tasked with bolstering the team’s offense after they averaged 2.61 goals per game in 2013-14. To help him do that, Poile acquired James Neal and signed Mike Ribeiro, Derek Roy, and Olli Jokinen. Meanwhile, Trotz will try to prove that he’s more than just a defensive-minded coach and he’s capable of getting the most out of Alex Ovechkin.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)