Aug 31, 2014, 7:03 PM EDT
Angels manager Mike Scioscia is a big hockey fan and he’d love to see baseball take inspiration from the NHL when it comes to its roster expansion rules.
“The one idea that I’ve really backed is the idea almost like hockey, when you call up and expand your roster to 37 but every given night you can only dress 30,” Scioscia said, per Fox Sports West. “I think you would lock the roster in as of September 1, those guys would have to dress every day, and then out of the added guys you have five guys that could dress on any given night and I think that would make it a little more equitable for match-ups.”
What Scioscia’s talking about is how the MLB bench expands after Sept. 1, but not every team ends up with the same number of bench players at that point. By contrast, the NHL limits team’s non-emergency promotions after the trade deadline, but prior to the playoffs. However, once the postseason starts, teams can call up as many players as they want, but they still can only dress 20. That allows for there to be Black Aces, which are players that get a taste of what the playoffs are like without actually participating in the contests (barring injuries, etc).
Scioscia thinks that the NHL format would create more equality than the MLB’s current system.
“Just for competitive balance, you should dress the same amount of guys and it should be regulated by the league,” he said.
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 21
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 39
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 92
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (93)